Thread: Drawboring Entry Door Tenons

Drawboring Entry Door Tenons

Hey Everyone,

I'm building a dutch door out of CVG DF, As such most of the tenons are "normal" width, and I'm planning on two 5/16 or 3/8" drawbores for those spaced about 1 1/2" apart. My kick rail is 9" total, and the width of the tenon is 7 3/4" wide divided into a 2 5/8" wide, 3" long on either end with the middle portion only being 1 1/4" long.

How should the kick rail be drawbored to consider wood movement? My thinking was that one peg through the center of each tenon would be mechanically sound, BUT aren't I setting myself up for a split in the wood of the kick rail over time?

Thanks!
    Trevor
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

There is something about those pegs that causes OCD! I worked for a guy that would complain after I pegged a door ; this one is too round ,this one isn't round enough, too symetrical ,not symetrical enough ,grain is too fine, grain is not fine enough. Higher .....lower. I finally just refused to do them without FIRST hearing the rules for that particular door. THEN he said "don't make a big deal of it". I don't think you will have any problem.

Great, I'll do it that way, and learn from any problems I encounter. Now as a follow up, I'm debating about using DF as peg material or milling up something more homoginous and rot resistant like white oak, or locust, or mahogany, thoughts on that?
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

I'd just use the same fir. Don't think it really matters, but I don't think I've seen pegs made of anything contrasting. And some today insist on glued tenons with the pegs and others insist on pegs with no glue. Old ones ,I've seen, were not usually glued.

I've done a few workbenches without glue, but for an entry door in a client's house I'm going overkill, glue and pegs. It's paint grade and this DF has good tight grain so pegs made from it should be great for this. I'll post some photos after I get it smacked together.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

I believe in making it clear to buyer that without paint or varnish on bottom of door ...there is NO WARRANTY. I think that is the most important issue.

I'm doing the finish work on the door, it will be properly painted and I'll explain the maintenance and leave a little card with it.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

Success!

But I think I'm going to switch to white oak for the pegs. I had a lot of rejects from the DF fracturing along the soft growth rings. I've used oak before and it's better for this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop