Thread: Crescent 12" jointer incline adjustment

Question Crescent 12" jointer incline adjustment

Good day! Recently picked up a 12" Crescent jointer from 1912.

I have scoured the net, and I can't find what I'm looking for. Maybe I'm searching for the wrong thing, but I can't find out exactly HOW to adjust the beds. I know that there are 4 individually-adjustable inclines on each bed. And I see the bolt that clamps the bed and incline together, but I don't see how they adjust. Everything I've found just mentions that they're adjustable, but doesn't give an actual procedure.

HELP!

Thank you!

I have a later version of the same jointer. I have adjusted the inclines exactly once, and only on the infeed table. I loosed the bolts on the inclines one by one, and just tapped them lightly with a hammer to adjust. I started with making the bed parallel to the cutterhead, and then made it coplanar with the outfeed table. (My outfeed table was already parallel to the cutterhead).

I had to sneak up on the final positions since re-tightening the lock bolts would sometimes change the settings.

I haven't done it enough to find a faster or more systematic procedure. But with potentially 8 adjustment points, I think it is just going to take some time to get it right. The good news is that once is you get it dialed in, it is rock solid.

You might ask over at OWWM.org, too, or do a search there for crescent jointer table leveling. Lots of expertise there.
    Last edited by Gary Radice; 10-19-2017 at 11:43 AM.

Thank you for your reply. I guess my problem is that I don't know WHAT or HOW it adjusts. I don't see any slots or clearance. What exactly moves to adjust?

There is the bolt that clamps the table to the incline bracket. If I loosen that, what moves, or do I have to loosen the incline bracket on the base, also, and then tap that forward or back?

Also, assuming I have to at least adjust 2 points at once - either both of the same side, or both front or both rear. Otherwise, 1 really shouldn't adjust, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Kievit View Post
    Thank you for your reply. I guess my problem is that I don't know WHAT or HOW it adjusts. I don't see any slots or clearance. What exactly moves to adjust?

There is the bolt that clamps the table to the incline bracket. If I loosen that, what moves, or do I have to loosen the incline bracket on the base, also, and then tap that forward or back?

Also, assuming I have to at least adjust 2 points at once - either both of the same side, or both front or both rear. Otherwise, 1 really shouldn't adjust, no?
    Yes, you need to loosen the bolts that hold the incline bracket to the base.

If yours is like mine, the bolt that clamps the table to the incline bracket is there just to keep the table from sliding off of the ways. You can loosen it or remove it while you make your adjustments, or just leave it there.

You'll then need to loosen the incline bracket from the base. On mine there are two bolts, one fore and one aft, that ride in slots in the bracket. Loosen both of those, then tap the bracket toward the cutter head to lower the table, or away from the cutter head to raise the table.

Loosen or remove this side bolt:

IMG_0354.jpg

Then loosen this bolt and the one on the other end of the inclined bracket.
    IMG_0352.jpg

Does that help? If you need other pix let me know.

That helps IMMENSELY. Thank you! I knew I was missing something. The Crescent service manual doesn't even tell how to adjust it, and lists an 'adjustable clip,' with no explanation what the 'clip' was.

Thank you so much!

Great, I'm glad that helped. Two other suggestions:
    1) a guy over at OWWM recommended rigging up some C-clamps and using the screw feature to nudge the inclined brackets, rather than tapping them. That would give a measure of control you don't have with tapping.

2) When I did mine, I actually removed each bracket one by one, leaving the table supported by the other three. That way I could clean the gunk off the inclined ways and lubricate them. I used a bicycle chain lube, but paraffin wax would work. Some use 30 weight oil but I like to use dry lubes in a dusty environment.

I have an old Fay & Egan jointer that adjusts similarly. I also happen to have a pair of small machinist's jacks that fit between the frame and the bottom of the tables. I simply set the jacks, loosened the bracket bolts and used the jacks to level things and then re-tightened the bolts.

Thanks again, to both of you for the information. I think I've got everything I need to know, now. BIG help! I'll get some pictures once I have it up and running....

You're welcome. One last bit of advice is that it will take time to get everything adjusted. If you are doing both tables, expect to spend half a day at least, maybe more, unless you are very lucky. That's just the way it is. With so many adjustment points, you think you are changing one, and the others change, too, so you will have to go back around again. Take your time, put on some soothing music, and if you get frustrated take a break and come back the next day. You will get it eventually. When you think you are close, take some trial cuts. Usually you will need some minor tweaks after the trial cuts. Don't worry, that is normal.

And once you get it dialed in, it should be rock solid, and you will smile every time you use it.

Looking forward to seeing the pix!