Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas in November

Christmas in November

At the end of September my wife and I vacationed in Maine. Our route south from Acadia happened to take us (purely by coincidence, I swear) down Route 1 and through the sleepy little town of Warren where there happens to be a small toolmaker that some of you may have heard of. We stopped in for a visit and I ordered a 10 1/4 rabbet plane that I had been lusting after for some time. It finally arrived today, along with a white whale.
    The Moby Dick to my Ahab.
    After years of internet searching and auction house haunting, I finally managed to track one down. And for a price that I was comfortable paying.

39F7C35E-ACBD-4855-8C16-991875C301D2.jpg

It has a broken handle and needs to be scrubbed & possibly repainted, but overall in great shape. Sorry for the gloat, but I couldn’t help myself lol
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Nice find, Brian! Looks like you get bragging rights along with Pete. How long is that thing?

Brian,

Congrats, I've been on the same quest for several years. So far with no joy but maybe there is hope.

ken

Phil - It's 28" long

Ken - I was beginning to think I'd never come across one too. Don't despair!!

5. Did you by chance buy it off of a dude on that old machine forum? I missed out on one by a fairly thin margin a few weeks ago

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel O'Connell View Post
    Did you by chance buy it off of a dude on that old machine forum? I missed out on one by a fairly thin margin a few weeks ago
    Actually, it came from flea bay of all places. I have had a search alert set up for an Acme handsaw filer for like 2 years now. I nearly fell out of my chair when one popped up on there like 2 weeks ago, and it didn’t go for an arm and a leg. I was prepared to dig in for a dogfight and it didn’t happen.

7. Quote Originally Posted by brian zawatsky View Post
    Actually, it came from flea bay of all places. I have had a search alert set up for an Acme handsaw filer for like 2 years now. I nearly fell out of my chair when one popped up on there like 2 weeks ago, and it didn’t go for an arm and a leg. I was prepared to dig in for a dogfight and it didn’t happen.
    Sweet, lucky find. I have a saved search for one as well, but I must have it mis configured as I didn't see it. Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Brian,

Congrats, I've been on the same quest for several years. So far with no joy but maybe there is hope.

ken
    Personally I'm going back to Fusion 360 and working on making my own luck...but then I'm a fairly crazy soul

Personally I'm going back to Fusion 360 and working on making my own luck...but then I'm a fairly crazy soul
    I can take some detailed pics of each casting for you when I disassemble it for cleaning & repainting.

10. Quote Originally Posted by brian zawatsky View Post
    I can take some detailed pics of each casting for you when I disassemble it for cleaning & repainting.
    I would deeply appreciate that. I've been designing based on much smaller wentworth and disston models and whole pictures of hte acme.

There's one on the bay right now if anyone is interested. A bit steep IMO for what it brings to the table, but cool nonetheless. $475 - item222707529979. I would bet $400 would take it

12. Quote Originally Posted by Noah Magnuson View Post
    There's one on the bay right now if anyone is interested. A bit steep IMO for what it brings to the table, but cool nonetheless. $475 - item222707529979. I would bet $400 would take it

Very, Very tempting. SWMBO raised a rather steep eyebrow when I brought up the price however

Very, Very tempting. SWMBO raised a rather steep eyebrow when I brought up the price however
    Thanks for that - TIL what SWMBO means. That is a new one for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah Magnuson View Post
    Thanks for that - TIL what SWMBO means. That is a new one for me.
    SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed.

jtk
    I've seen this generate some heated discussion on various forums! It should be, and for me, always is, used with utmost affection and respect. My wife knows about and kinda likes my use of the term!