Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baseball Playoffs .....

Quote Originally Posted by James Baker SD View Post
    I'm a Cincinnati fan and I can't even remember the last time they made it to the post season. Did have some good years back in my college days though.
    The Big Red Machine.
    John T.

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    The Big Red Machine.
    Not quite that far back. They won the series in 1990, swept the As. Went to the NLCS in 1995. Made the playoffs in 2010 and 2012.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Well the magical ride is over for the Yanks. Great season. One most people never would have guessed. Will be seeing alot of this team in the coming years. Only going to get better. Now for a world series that I could care less who wins. Congrats Yanks and see you next year.
    John T.

Blog Entries
    So, the Astros and the Dodgers.

Think I'll root for the Astros.

PHM

Blog Entries
    Last time I saw the Astros play was in Chicago at Wrigley Field.

How many other teams were in one league and then kept their name and changed leagues?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The Brewers were in the AL until the late 90’s. Saw the Brew Crew at Nats Park this year. They looked good, and had a good run this year.

Blog Entries
    Maybe my question should have been how many teams have gotten to the World Series as representatives from both leagues?

The Astros lost in four to the White Sox in 2005.

Interesting item on the Brewers, in 1982 they lost the World Series to the St. Louis Cardinals. In 2011 they lost the NLCS to the St. Louis Cardinals.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 10-22-2017 at 4:15 PM. Reason: Interesting item on the Brewers
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries
    Wow, it got by me that one of my favorite occurrences in baseball reached the century mark this year.

That would be the tale of a relief pitcher considered to have thrown a perfect game. Some didn't like the idea others thought that all 27 outs came consecutively under his performance. So at least he will have an asterisk in the annals of baseball history.

Most people who do not know baseball making a wild guess will guess the name of the starting pitcher.

If your Google Fu is good, the whole story will show up at the top.

jtk

Will Verlander plunk Puig?? He is old school.
    John T.

Congrats to the Astros! The year ends on a high note for the city of Houston, after so much adversity. Tip of the cap to the Dodgers - they were equally deserving of the title.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Trent View Post
    Congrats to the Astros! The year ends on a high note for the city of Houston, after so much adversity. Tip of the cap to the Dodgers - they were equally deserving of the title.
    I agree with you Mike. It was a well played series.

PHM

I was rooting for the Astros. And hoping Verlander would be the one to clinch it.

After all those miserable years with the Tigers where he pitched good games- got little or NO support from the offense. If he held a team to two runs, the Tigers would get one. If he held a team to one run the Tigers would be shut out. No matter how good a pitcher you are if your team is shut out, you ain't winnin'. Period.

I'm glad to see Verlander on a World Series winning team. As far as the Tigers go, I'm burning my transistor radio. Just can't stand it anymore.

-Tom