Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pond Problems, tired of buying fish

Angry Pond Problems, tired of buying fish

I have a small pond with waterfall, about 4'x7'. It goes from 12" to 24" deep and that's enough for the winters here, my gold fish stayed alive even with 2" ice on top a couple of years ago. Well last fall I had a visit from a great blue heron, my wife saw it on the fence and didn't think why it was there, so it ate about 12 5'6" fish. When I replaced them I covered the pond with that black plastic deer netting, fairly invisible and no trouble until now. I found my netting all messed up, plants uprooted, large rocks fallen into the water, and even some good sized rocks on TOP of the net. Other than a human, I figured the only things we have in the area that could have done this were racoons.
    This time they ate close to 20 fish, so it may have been a whole family. Now I have green "rabbit" wire fencing (1/2" squares) over it, and will wait until spring to get new fish, but now it's ugly and defeats the purpose of a pond to have a fence over it. If I place it under the water the fish can't come up to get their food. Any ideas?

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Stock it with pirahna?

Wow, that is a problem... This past summer, I removed a 120g pond for similar reasons... we had much smaller fish that were being consumed by some neighborhood birds. We didn't have raccon's, but my 2 dogs loved to swim with the fishes . Despite some fencing and covers, the animals always won.

I don't have any good suggestions for you... I hope you do find a solutions. I miss our pond, it was nice in the summers to sit on the patio with an outdoor fireplace and listen to the pond and watch the fish munch the insects...

you've got a dozen fish that are 5 foot 6inches long? Chicken wire will do the trick.

How about an ultrasonic animal repeller? Here's a link for a programmable one, but there's a bunch of different ones out there in cyberland.

http://www.brandsonsale.com/hg-004251.html
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

If it's still a heron...

I was at the local tropical fish store yesterday and commented on the plastic heron they had in the store (They also do ponds). Their comment was the heron's are territorial and if there is one already there (plastic) a real one won't visit the pond.

If it's raccoons, how about getting a pet mountain lion?

Quote Originally Posted by John Hemenway
    ...If it's raccoons, how about getting a pet mountain lion?
    Here Kitty kitty.....LOL Too funny John!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Joe, you have an opportunity to save on the grocery bill and vary your diet.

My uncle once went on a coon hunt and brought back one. I cleaned it, par-boiled it, breaded and fried it. Tastes just like chicken.
    Best Regards, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock
    Joe, you have an opportunity to save on the grocery bill and vary your diet.

My uncle once went on a coon hunt and brought back one. I cleaned it, par-boiled it, breaded and fried it. Tastes just like chicken.
    Heh. Notice how everything the least bit exotic "tastes like chicken"? Except ostrich, the one thing you'd expect to taste like chicken, tastes like beef. Go figure.

actually to us Cajuns..chicken tastes like alligator.

Try the plastic heron and maybe a plastic owl for the coons. The plastic heron should work based on what others have said. My dad had the same problem adn it stoped his heron problems.
    What if the light at the end of the tunnel is a train?

Pond Problems, tired of buying fish

I actually had as many as 30 fish before the Heron's visit. And we do have an outdoor fireplace and porch swing there for summer evenings. That repeller looks interesting, I suppose the dogs can get used to it. They hang around near the pond to visit the neighbor's dog thru the fence, but have never gone into the water. We give them a wading pool when it's hot. The dogs stay in the house most of the time or they'd chase anything else, like they do with the squirrels. Also, a fake heron would look nice there so I could do that too
    but it probably wouldn't bother the racoons.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

I'd say a low electric fence wire around the pond would do it for the racoons. The heron might take something else, but it sounds as if you had the heron problem licked anyway. After getting shocked once, your dogs won't go near the wire. Have you ever used one for a horse? You lead the horse to the wire and let it get shocked. After that, it would take you and all your neighbors to drag the horse up to the wire. Unless they have improved immensely over the past few years, the ultrasonics won't work.

I have a pond also and have lost 11 fish in the past few years. Many of the fish were over 14 inches in length (raccoons) and a few 3-4 inchers (heron). Main problem is the pond isn't deep enough. The best defence for heron or racoon is a deep pond with no shallow shelves for herons or raccoons to stand on. They say atleast 5 feet deep. My pond came with the house I bought and is about 2.5-3.5 feet deep in the center and less than that in other areas. I was going to dig it deeper, but have a new baby in the house and figure I'd fill it in for now and make some yard for playing ball in once the little guy gets a few years older.

I hate to see the pond go, but after losing all those fish I know it has to be changed or taken out. I didn't really like the look of any netting or fencing around the pond as it takes away from the it. Only option was a complete do over and I would rather spend the money on tools and wood than a pond right now and I'm a fish lover, see the avatar.
    Last edited by Jim Benante; 11-02-2005 at 4:47 PM.
    The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything. ~Edward Phelps

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Benante
    Main problem is the pond isn't deep enough. The best defence for heron or racoon is a deep pond with no shallow shelves for herons or raccoons to stand on. They say atleast 5 feet deep. My pond came with the house I bought and is about 2.5-3.5 feet deep in the center and less than that in other areas.
    A lot of places, anything deeper than 18" or so is covered by the same regulations as a swimming pool: 5-6' fence, locking gate, etc.

Pond Problems, tired of buying fish

My pond at 12" one end to 24" under the waterfall was based on the minimum to not freeze solid in our climate. I didn't want it deeper for safety reasons. I'll think about the electric fence, that's workable and the dogs don't get that close to it and both have long fur (Golden Ret. & golden mix). The fish I buy are "feeders" for like .20 each, it's just that I get to like them and hate to have them eaten after they go from 1-2" to 5-6". I even have two with names that I haven't seen since the racoons.

Sammamish, WA