Had a guy all set up to make a compacted gravel base for my new 12x20 Amish shed. Then I had 2 more guys show up to bid on the job. Both told me they thought compacted gravel was a bad idea, even with an 8x8 treated frame made in 3 sections with common sides. Some settling was inevitable they both believed. The first guy was just starting to tell me of a better way using sonotubes and pouring concrete "pads" down 30" and leveled perfectly with on another when a second guy showed up and agreed that he thought that would be far more stable. The first guy said he thought just one in each corner for the skids to sit on would suffice.
I did not care for his suggestion and he soon left as I was discussing with the 2nd guy what he proposed. It was his opinion that 4 along each outer skid and 2 more under separate skids near the center of the building.
I'm convinced now his plan is the way to go and I'd like to get some opinions from members here on that method.
He told me the cost would probably be fairly close to a framed compacted gravel pad, or perhaps a bit less.
Please share your thoughts on this idea.
Also, all the while thinking sound deadening it occurred to me that a hard rubber pad on top of these structures might help isolate sound transmission. Any thoughts on this idea?
The shop will have 4x6 skids notched 1" for each 2x4 joist placed 12" on center and a 3/4" plywood floor.