Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why your photos show up sideways on SMC

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Even an I-phone has a top and if you take your photos with the top of the phone up, SMC won't rotate them.
    Thanks Lee. That's not my experience. Here's an iPhone 5 photo, shot in (vertical) portrait mode, with the power button and image sensor at the top of the phone. It is rotated by SMC 90 CCW.

IMG_3281.jpg

For landscape photos, I need to put the volume buttons, which control the 'shutter release', on the bottom of the phone to get it to display in SMC correctly. To me, 'shutter release on the bottom of the camera' is 'upside down'.
    Mark McFarlane

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    For landscape photos, I need to put the volume buttons, which control the 'shutter release', on the bottom of the phone to get it to display in SMC correctly. To me, 'shutter release on the bottom of the camera' is 'upside down'.
    So now you know where the top of the phone is. All you need to do is move to Australia and your phone will be right side up...
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    So now you know where the top of the phone is. All you need to do is move to Australia and your phone will be right side up...
    I just finished a FaceTime session with my daughter who moved to Sydney a few weeks ago. I'll ask her to test this theory.

I do have it figured out, as long as I stick to landscape orientation.
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by lee schierer View Post
    so now you know where the top of the phone is. All you need to do is move to australia and your phone will be right side up...:d
    roflol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Looks like it's still a multi-step process here, which I'm not willing to do just to post pictures here when they can be posted multiple other places with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Same here! I can't remember ever posting a photo without first loading it into PhotoShop for sizing and compressing. (One forum I visit has a firm 100k limit) And once it is loaded, I simply can't resist quickly adjusting the levels. Then I might as well straighten. Hmm... That background needs cropping...

JKJ
    If you are not a Photoshop user using Photoshop just to resize pictures is a bit of overkill.

If you are a Windows user I recommend Microsoft's own FREE Windows Power Toys for resizing pictures. It is MUCH quicker than using Photoshop to resize and also FREE!

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win.../image-resizer

It is available through the Right-Click menu in Windows Explorer. And it takes all of about a second to resize a picture:

2022-06-18_094852.jpg

2022-06-18_094908.jpg

Not only is it FREE it also does not contain any spyware or addware in the application like most "free" software does.

I prefer the following configuration which will create a resized image named "[original image name] - Large.jpg"
    2022-06-18_095446.jpg

Even with resizing and rotating pictures on my workstation they still don't post properly on sawmillcreek a good percentage of the time.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 06-18-2022 at 1:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schuch View Post
    If you are not a Photoshop user using Photoshop just to resize pictures is a bit of overkill
    I’m a hardcore Photoshop user, used it for decades in my work. These days I can’t justify the subscription fee for the latest versions so I bought Photoshop Elements, inexpensive, has most of the functionality, does everything I want.

There are also free online utilities that resize and compress images. One wood forum recommended https://picresize.com/, quick and simple.

JKJ

So if we rout our pics thru a server at 0 lat, 0 longitude will they become unhinged and just spin down the toilet, and which way will they spin?