Thread: good price on used powermatic 3520b

good price on used powermatic 3520b

I have an opportunity to purchase a used Powermatic 3520b for $2500. No accessories included. It is 3 years old and according to the seller in mint condition. Sounds like a good deal to me, but was wondering what the experts think.

what kind of tool is it? What does a new one cost? are parts still available?
    Bill

It’s a lathe. A very nice sought after one I believe.

Sorry for being so skimpy with the details. It's a top selling lathe and hard to find new for less than $4k. Model has changed significantly for years. Parts not an issue

A three year old 3520b in mint condition for $2500, and you did not buy it on the spot ? That is a super good deal on a highly respected lathe.

First question you need to ask yourself, "do you need one?"

PM typically runs a sale every year and that tool is heavily discounted, certainly not as low as $2500 but rather substantially. When buying larger tools big considerations are the amount of time required to go evaluate the tool, and then the complexity and cost of the transport, and finally the probability of a successful install without damage. This even counts when purchasing a new tool and having it shipped. A good tool that is close has high value from at least the first two perspectives.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Powermatic is replacing this lathe with the 3520C, supposedly this or next month - not sure what the changes are. I've used the 3520B a few times in a class and it's a beautiful machine. Woodcraft recently had them on 20% discount, which would still be about $500 more than your $2500 price

New delivered to your door is $3,495.00. Google surplus equipment sale powermatic and you find a dealer that factory ships (I bought from them).

I sold my 3 1/2-4 year old 3520b this past March when I bought my Robust AB. I sold it for $3000 and had 2 other people in line if the first guy bailed out early. Just something to think about.

If it's in mint condition sounds like a great deal Bob. I would act very quickly.
    I'm very happy with mine.

I think $2500 is a very good price. You shouldn't delay. Be sure that you get the expected parts: drive center, 6" face plate, live center for tail stock, knock out bar, and 14" tool rest. There are also some other bracket as well that go off the back of the headstock and the tail stock that are useful for attaching lights and such.

Enjoy your new lathe, it's a workhorse and you will have a lot of fun with it.

Cheers,
    David

Bob, you wouldn't happen to want to let me know where it is? (jk) At that price, I would have bought it on the spot.
    Len

Just an FYI on price point, I can buy a new 3520B for $3400 (plus tax, they will not ship)
    https://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/t...301626106.html
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

The one you mention sounds like a good deal.

I bought a used one a couple of years ago, good condition, included the bed extension, centers, faceplate, knockout bar and a few other things. $3000 but I had to drive from TN to Maryland to pick it up. I thought it was an incredible deal especially since the bed extension is so useful. Excellent lathe.

JKJ

I have one that is 5 years old, and I turned down 3400.oo, that said, mine has some accesseries and an extended bed thats 400.oo I have never had a once of trouble.