Thread: Hints for Rolling Lathe Tool Rack

Hints for Rolling Lathe Tool Rack

A friend just acquired a used Jet 1015 and jumped into the vortex. Now he needs a rolling rack to store his turning tools or else some small rack that can be moved and set on work bench near lathe when needed. His tools will start out pretty limited, but you know how they expand (only one tool away from greatness) so need to plan for future. He will be turning pens, small bowls, and lidded boxes. I have a 5 wheel base off office chair for base so it can support a decent load and be stable. Please post pictures of any that work for you. Thanks.

this is what I have and have been pleased with using it for a few years. Depending on the room he has and how the shop is set up it may work for his uses as well200055589_600x270__1507333567_14035.jpg

Charles, that would be an easy build with the office chair base, a large dowel and some 3/4" plywood.

Left click my name for homepage link.

In a small shop, I am thinking about all the wasted space under a single platform and hope someone has good ideas how to utilize that space. A wild idea is even platform for grinder/sharpening.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    A wild idea is even platform for grinder/sharpening.
    That's what I wound up doing, it's this cart with a top added and tool racks screwed to the sides. I don't have room for a permanent grinding station so this gets wheeled out when needed and also serves as a small flat surface for chuck jaw changes and other tasks.

LatheCart.jpg

I use a 5 gal bucket. PVC with caps and couplers. The caps prevent the tools from punching holes in the bucket, the couplers spaces the tools. fill the voids with expanding foam. I use this to bring tools to demos too. Not really "cheap" but I like it.

Not rolling, but could easily be made so.

4(Qty.) 1.5" x 1.5" x 17" legs with 3 notches cut in each leg. 3(Qty.) .75" x 11.5" x 18" , each with a 3/4" deep and 1.5" wide notch on each side, toward the corner (not centered). Cut holes and slots in two of these for your tools. Round over the top of the holes so the tools slide in. One screw from the leg to the middle board holds it together. Don't glue it as you will add and enlarge the holes as you get new tools.

tool-rack.jpg