Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ghosting on cabinet door?

Ghosting on cabinet door?

There is a weird ghosting pattern on a cabinet door I have sprayed. It's not too visible in normal light, but is in direct light (see flash photo).

The plywood panel was filled with wood filler to deal with grain, sanded, and primed with oil-based paint. The topcoat is benjamin moore advance.

The finish looks and feels fine. There is no noticeable difference in texture in the ghosted area. Should I just keep adding paint? Sand?

Suggestions on how to fix it or what caused it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh, and I should mention that the finish is being sprayed with HVLP. However, it's not a topcoat issue, as the same ghosting is consistently visible through the first two coats.

Chris, as BM Advance is WB and you've used an oil based primer I wonder whether its reacting? Is it the same on other doors you've painted?

It's on 2 of the 4 and only on the plywood panels, not the rails/stiles. I guess it's possible. The folks at the store said the two paints were compatible. They are generally pretty good on this stuff...but wouldn't be the first time!

That is the plywood. I have some good ply, some not so good ply and some mdf panels in my kitchen cabinets not built by me. The not so good ply panels have this same look to them. I think the veneer is just a bit loose? or rippled. I sanded and filled a few times to minimize it. also, about 4 coats of paint on that panel. Then I hung the towel rack over it! I used proclassic and SW's mid tier WB primer. I also think that it showed more as it got "wet" with the first coat of primer and then light sand, and first coat of paint. I am not sure there is really anything you can do to make it go away completely without redoing that door/panel

Thanks, Adam. I suspected as much. This is a test run for a much larger install. I had already decided I needed to upgrade the panels. This makes that even more necessary. I'll try a sand and another coat or two. Then I'll admit defeat.

I love the towel rack hack! Out of sight, out of mind.

Based on your photo and subsequent mention that it's only on the plywood, I suspect that the plywood, itself, is the issue and it's a physical thing, not finish-related.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree. The problem is either with the plywood itself or your prep work. That's what the photo suggests to me. You should be able to see it after your first coat of primer if you look at it from an angle.

John

Thanks, Jim. As you and John suspected, it is the wood itself. Two more coats and still visible in exactly the same area.

Can you explain what it means that it's the wood itself? Shouldn't sanding even it out? Or if it's the way it absorbs the paint, shouldn't more cover it up?

Or is this kind of like how wood grain shows through sometimes, no matter what you do? How does that happen? I've decided to just live with it, but I'd love to prevent it in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Based on your photo and subsequent mention that it's only on the plywood, I suspect that the plywood, itself, is the issue and it's a physical thing, not finish-related.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McLeester View Post
    Thanks, Jim. As you and John suspected, it is the wood itself. Two more coats and still visible in exactly the same area.

Can you explain what it means that it's the wood itself? Shouldn't sanding even it out? Or if it's the way it absorbs the paint, shouldn't more cover it up?

Or is this kind of like how wood grain shows through sometimes, no matter what you do? How does that happen? I've decided to just live with it, but I'd love to prevent it in the future.
    Chris, I think Adam's explanation of the top layer of veneer not bonding properly to the underlying core may be the cause - especially as sanding hasn't got rid of it. If you're seeing a lot of it, then you might need to use a different source or material (MDF core for example?). I've never had this issue with Baltic Birch as it is just about void free, more expensive than most ply but worth it IMO

When I said it's in the wood itself I meant the plywood was not of uniform thickness to start with. You can see the low spots looking at your photo. That could only come from poor quality plywood or your prep. sanding. Either way, no amount of paint will make it go away. The only remedy would be to fill the low spots and sand it flat which is not as easy to do as one would think.

If you are going to paint these doors I would use MDF panels. MDF is dead flat, paints great, and is cheap. It really is a better choice for non structural painted indoor work.

John

I agree with John. Unless you like the look of wood grain telegraphing through mdf is the way to go.if you could see the crappy veneers that are used for the core you'd know why the thickness isnt consistent .
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Sand. Bondo with a 4" knife. Sand. Prime and paint.

If that doesn't work, draw a bullseye on it and take it out back.
    -Lud

Yes, unsatisfactory plywood. 100% agree with John and Steve. Mdf is ideal for this. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    Yes, unsatisfactory plywood. 100% agree with John and Steve. Mdf is ideal for this. Cheers
    Thanks, all. I'll be switching to MDF.

Two (slightly off topic questions).

1. Do you use 1/4 or 1/2 with a rabbet? I'm unable to find a source for 1/4 near me (hardwood supplier and lumber yard).
    2. Are there any concerns about water damage and do you seal the "end grain" of the panel to prevent this?