Thread: Jet 1840 Lathe Review - Video

Post Jet 1840 Lathe Review - Video

I’ve had my lathe for six months, now, and decided to post a video review. I’ve searched for other reviews of this great lathe and haven’t found any.

If this lathe interests you, here is the link: https://youtu.be/CXLwSzit4-g

Constructive criticism is encouraged as I intend to start making videos on a regular basis and I know there is LOTS of room for improvement.

Phil, I quickly moved thru the video. You spent a good deal of time discussing features common to most all lathes and it may be better to cover how your lathe differs from others in areas where it is either unique or or better/worse than other lathes. Generally, I felt it needed to be much shorter and more concise. Given the actual content I think you could have conveyed the same information in a fourth of the time. Also, I would suggest using either a separate camera operator or a tripod and then edit the transitions of the segments.

I dont mean to be overly critical, but if you intend on doing future videos, I think you will find folks are more likely to watch a 5 minute video rather than a video that is over half an hour long.

Left click my name for homepage link.

I agree with John Keeton, stick to the review with out all the unnecessary jibber jabber. Another suggestion is to hide all the clutter in the background. You could hang some curtains around your subject. Sorry but that is the way I see it.
    Jack Brown

I would also like to see more video of the lathe in action.

Phil,

Since you asked...

I agree with John - the video is too long - I would probably skip it due to the length. I also agree it is generally not specific enough to that lathe. Comparisons to other similar lathes would be useful

I didn't watch every minute but did take the time to "page" through it to get some overall impressions and a few details. I made some notes that I'll write up and send to you in case you are interested.

I do applaud your efforts to make this. There are many things with the actual video and editing that could be improved but I hesitate to be too critical since I spent years scripting, shooting, and editing technical videos and I suspect I'm a bit of a video snob! There are, however, several simple things you can do for a much improved video. You can find videography lessons and pointers on the internet and in books - I got started with several books. Also, it is so valuable to have another person "brutally" review your first cut! I often worked with one or two other professionals and we were always severe with each other - and it showed in the quality.

As you are probably aware, producing a video takes a lot of time! The more time you spend planning at the beginning the quicker the shoot goes and the better the results. Still, a 30 minute video typically takes dozens of hours to script, shoot, and edit. A 5 minute video is a LOT quicker!

I agree that a cameraman would be helpful. I've seen people do effective videos without but it requires a bit of planning - write out a script and plan the shots and field of view ahead of time. But be careful when using a cameraman, try to get someone with experience - some are horrible with excessive zooming, shaky camera, disorientating jump shots, poor framing, focusing problems, oblivious to lighting issues, etc.!

BTW, I saw some things you wished were improved and might be things you can send to Jet as feedback. But to make your lathe better for you, perhaps consider:

- If the speed control knob moves too easily you could probably remove it and add some gentle friction by means of a soft washer or two between the knob and the headstock casting, possibly backed up with a suitable spring. Just cut some from some soft material such as leather or felt. (I personally would not want detents.)
    - A bit of double-sided tape would keep the rubber mat on top of the headstock from blowing up with compressed air.
    - The tailstock quill smoothness might be improved by removing and lubricating and adjusting the tension/play set screw, assuming it's the same as other lathes I'm familiar with. If you use a dry lubricant it won't collect fine sawdust.
    - The position of the tailstock crank handle might be different with a different live center. If keyed to the shaft it might not be possible to change the position when bottoming out, but it is possible to shorten the Morse taper by grinding some off the end - just be careful not to take off too much!

JKJ

A little to long but for the first time buyer a lot of good info. Also glad to see you have closed captions allowed on the video.
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Thanks, all, for your thoughts on my video. I don't disagree, longer videos don't get watched as much as shorter ones. I will say the video was not necessarily for experienced turners. I see a lot of questions in different groups similar to "I'm new to turning, what lathe shall I buy?" Those guys want to know everything there is to know and don't want a comparison to a lathe they may not be familiar with or commonalities left out. Also, of the 10 or so turners I regularly watch on YT, only one of them ever uses a separate camera operator and then only rarely. I did, indeed, edit this video and there are transitions in place. Thank you John K Jordan for your suggestions on modifications I could make to the lathe. I am considering a couple. I do appreciate the feedback of all of you. I don't intend to make professional videos, now or in the future. I do intend to share some of the knowledge I have learned from watching hundreds of videos and perhaps offer a new approach gleaned from my meager experience. I'm in the process now of making a video of the lathe in action, my first REAL woodturning video. I'm having fun doing it, too!

I am looking forward to your new video. Currently turn on a vintage lathe, and may eventually want something with greater swing for bowls.

<p>
    Well, for a long time turner, more info than I need, but good for some one who is doing a first time buy. Only real complaint is that you didn&#39;t make any shavings... Your shop is crowded. With the lathe set in between a wall and a bench, you can&#39;t really use the sliding headstock. That is the best thing about sliding headstocks. At one end you have a spindle lathe, at the other tailstock end, you have a bowl lathe and can stand up straight to turn bowls rather than leaning over the bed or extending your arms way out away from your body. That is the main reason I got my first sliding headstock lathe. The speed range is okay, but.... The low range is too slow for me. My PM 3520A went from almost 0 to 1500, which is great for bowl coring and most bowl turning. The 1200 speed is too slow for small bowls for me, though for non production turners, it may be okay. The slow range, down to almost 0 is essential to me for sanding my warped bowls with the lathe spinning. Some like that speed range also for applying finishes.</p>
    <p>
    still getting strange marks from new computer from typing in an apostrophy...... Hmm....&nbsp;</p>
    <p>
    robo hippy</p>

I use a VFD to get slow speeds, but even as a rookie turner I find ahving slow speed essential.

I watched the entire video and enjoyed it. I recently bought a proper lathe and guess I am still working through the cognitive dissonance period of confirming I did the right thing! So a rambling walk through the machine was good for me... I did a "thumbs up" and subscribed to your channel -- looking forward to more from you. Thanks and have fun!

Ely

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    I would also like to see more video of the lathe in action.
    Here you go, Chris! https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=dA1Tn1qNxUg

Quote Originally Posted by ELY WALTON View Post
    I watched the entire video and enjoyed it. I recently bought a proper lathe and guess I am still working through the cognitive dissonance period of confirming I did the right thing! So a rambling walk through the machine was good for me... I did a "thumbs up" and subscribed to your channel -- looking forward to more from you. Thanks and have fun!

Ely
    Thanks for your kind words, Ely! If you are anything like me, five minutes turning with your new lathe will indicate in the affirmative your decision to purchase. I'm loving mine! Here is my first real turning video. https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=dA1Tn1qNxUg