Thread: Guitar with 6A Grade Quilted ebony face, and flame figured ebony fingerboard

Guitar with 6A Grade Quilted ebony face, and flame figured ebony fingerboard

Ok, for those paying attention, there is no such thing a quilted ebony. Maybe bee's wing figure occasionally, but too dark and low chatoyance to even see it.

This is quilted carbon fiber. First ever sheet casting, first ever guitar made with it. Higher chatoyance than real quilted maple (Chatoyance is a measure of the light reflective effect of wood figure). Fully 3D under the flat face, Blood Red Candy burst, then coated with 2K urethane, cut and buffed.

CFQ-Vert-test-shot.JPG.e6eddb5f188bedb8bfdd80eebd3ec7b6.JPG
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

Thats really pretty. Post some more pix.

I suppose ebony could be quilted - but you would never see the figure...

You could probably find quilted persimmon - a cousin of Ebony...

Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    Thats really pretty. Post some more pix.

I suppose ebony could be quilted - but you would never see the figure...

You could probably find quilted persimmon - a cousin of Ebony...
    I personally would love to see a list of wood species that have exhibited heavy quilt figure besides big leaf maple and mahogany. Pommele Sapele is close, and blister figured Makore. Never heard of quilt in ebony, but you are right in that it would not have chatoyance. I haven't leveled frets, setup or final finish on neck yet, so not doing studio shots with my DSLR, til finished. Lots of detail work yet before it growls. Can't wait to hear the scatterwound humbuckers. My last guitar screams with them.
    CFQuilt-Full-Velvet-CAMPIC.jpg
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

Headstock in the quilted CF
    CFQ-headstock.jpg
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc

That is really pretty.

Bubinga has some really pretty figure as well as the ones you listed...

6. Beautiful workmanship, John. I loved how you did the finish.

Thanks Marty!

Just got back from NAMM, and did studio shots just prior. Here's a couple, as well as some of the newer solid figured CF for veneering faces and doing whole 1/4" thick fretboards.
    CFQuilt-Medrez-full.jpgCFQuilt-Medrez-Lower-dialsClsp.jpgCFQuilt-Medrez-Headstock.jpgFFCF-Fingerboards-veneer-txt.jpg
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc