Thread: Computer putting weird characters in my edits

Computer putting weird characters in my edits

Started a week or so ago.. I reply in a thread and when I hit the send button my post shows in thread like normal BUT w weird characters aded.

For example heres a copy/paste from this eve -

As possible solution - Videos on making "any size" adapters by heating PVC pipe -

It seems to get even weirder if I edit, or copy /paste even I never typed "&quot", but typed " " ".
    Is it just my computer ?

Something has changed.. either on my end...or SC end. Marc

Weird as hell. I never typed the word quote three times in a row, but it shows in my post above after I send it. Marc

It's irritating, isn't it? I've searched at different times for a fix and was never able to find one. Here's something I found that sort of explains why it happens but offers no solution:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=425683

It's old - 2007 - but the best I've been able to find to date.

I see that " when a website inserts code into a sentence where I used quotation marks. I've never seen it happen here but I often experience Firefox crashes and other problems that might all be related to hacking. I think it's reasonable to assume nothing is safe from hacking these days.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Mark, are you using the wysiwyg editor? I had some odd problems a while back which all went away when I switched to the simpler, Standard editor. Maybe something to try.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...t-input-issues

Trying triple quotes, with and without spaces: """, " " "

(Note, this reply is with the "Reply with Quote" using the Standard editor. See if it restores the text as you typed it. If so, it may point to the editor as the problem.)

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Jeske View Post
    Started a week or so ago.. I reply in a thread and when I hit the send button my post shows in thread like normal BUT w weird characters aded.

For example heres a copy/paste from this eve -

As possible solution - Videos on making "any size" adapters by heating PVC pipe -

It seems to get even weirder if I edit, or copy /paste even I never typed """, but typed " " ".
    Is it just my computer ?

Something has changed.. either on my end...or SC end. Marc

Mods - Please look at my OP #1, then look at John's #5 post - See how his Quote of my post is normal? even though my original is not?

Really weird, UNLESS John somehow edited his quote of my post. Marc

I participate in 2 other Forums, I think one is the V Bulletin format, and this problem is only happening here.

I'll type now "VBulletin" in quotes, just did, looks correct at this moment, but soon as I post, it will do the weird again.

Mods - Please look at my posts in last week or two, you will see a number of examples of this problem.

Thank you all for help. Marc

WHOAA ! Now it didn't do it above.

Whatever. Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Jeske View Post
    Mods - Please look at my OP #1, then look at John's #5 post - See how his Quote of my post is normal? even though my original is not?
    Really weird, UNLESS John somehow edited his quote of my post. Marc
    No, I didn't edit anything, just quoted your message.

Which of these are you using for SMC?
    - Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing
    - Basic Editor - A simple text box
    - Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls

I did use the Standard editor which has been found to cure a couple of woes. I didn't get time to experiment with the different editors to try to duplicate your weirdness. (Fencing a pasture today, 'bout to pass out now!)

JKJ

Thank you John, went to links above, got enough info now for the moment, will dig into it and report back. Marc

I dunno, brain overload.

I did the Editor change, fixed it.

That was easy.

Then next day, problem came back..Was in contact w Andrew Pitonyak, VERY kind and helpful and Smart Gentleman.. he had a few suggestions.

I procrastinated doing anything, and now,couple days later.. w NO changes by me, it seems to work everything as it should.

Crazy weird... Did I say I HATE computer stuff like this... SOOOO different than something I can put my eyes and hands on like in the Shop.

Marc

Problem comes and goes on it's own intermittently.

It SEEMS that if I go to SMF from an email of a new post on a read thread, it works.

But if I just open new browser and go to SMF, I get the gray text cell and cannot input characters.

Weird. Marc

OK.. I just went and tried the two different avenues above to get to SMF, and it is consistently doing what I said above in post #12.

So, it seems NOT to be truly intermittent, but depending on how I get to SMF.

Marc

I found that whenever the page was using https I would have the problems you describe. I went to chrome://net-internals/#hsts and at the bottom of the page I deleted the domain security policies for sawmillcreek and that cleared my browser's security policy cache for this web site. I don't know how it got messed up but after doing that I haven't had any problems.