Thread: Drum Sander Dilemma

Drum Sander Dilemma

My old Performax 16/32 is getting a bit "long in the tooth" and a 10% off sale on Supermax sanders might be enough to get me to act.
    I have a couple of concerns and am interested in your feedback. My target machine is the 25/50 with the closed stand. I'm a bit concerned that is has the same 1 3/4hp motor as their 19/38 sander and worry that it might be under powered. I could move up to their 25x2 double drum unit and have 5hp with 240v but lose the ability to run a second pass on a wide piece. I've had quite a few occasions to run a wide table top through my 16/32 and really like having that option.
    I'm just a hobbyist and the machine would see fairly light use but worry that it might be under powered.
    I also see that Jet has a 22/44 machine with a 240v 3hp motor.
    Your opinions and experience would be most welcome.

I have the 25/50. It does have a 1.75 hp motor. I have never felt it was under powered. I wish they had used a full 25" platen instead of the 19" on and a roller extention on the end. It has been a great sander.

SuperMax was just purchased by Laguana Tools so it might be good to know. I'm not sure if that will raise prices, decrease prices, or change anything but food for thought.

I am tempted to buy a SuperMax quickly before any changes since I know they are a good machine today.

what seller has 10% off?

Quote Originally Posted by larry senen View Post
    what seller has 10% off?
    Yes I would like to know too. I was going to order one tomorrow, from what I can tell the 2k price is a sale price and expires at the end on the month. Anyone know what the normal retail is on the sander?

Everything I have seen, the $2k price is the standard. I don't see anything about a sale

If you look at the sale flyer from supermax it says that price expires September 30. I assumed that meant it was on sale, I guess I shouldn't assume that.

Thanks for the feedback.

The sale ends Sat Sept 30th - http://thisiswoodworking.com/supermax/

I recently added the Jet 22-44 OCS Drum sander to my shop and I am very impressed with it. Like you I enjoy the ability to sand wide pieces, so I wanted a cantilevered design. I wanted 115v in the sander, I have limited 220v outlets and this one has a 1 3/4 hp 115 motor but it has plenty of power. The OCS feature really makes the sander, everything comes out smooth, with no grain marks, even with 80 grit paper. You should give it a look.
    Earl

I have the closed end Shoppro 25" model and it works well for my hobby use. I would like more hp as sanding wide panels is slow but finish is predictalby good. I had a 16-32 and upgraded on a $$$ score on the 25'er and have been very happy with. If I were planning an upgrade I would go for more hp, maybe consider an OCS dual drum model. I'll wait for my next lucky score. Good luck shopping.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Ken Krawford View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.

The sale ends Sat Sept 30th - http://thisiswoodworking.com/supermax/
    Thanks for posting that, I just ordered one.