Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norm's Zero Clearance Insert

Norm's Zero Clearance Insert

So I've been meaning to ask this group if they know why Norm uses only a strip of wood in his zero clearance insert instead of making the whole insert out of wood?

I thought maybe it had to do with the ease of changing it.. but then I figured routing out the whole shape has got to be a pretty quick task for him.

I'm assuming he modified a stock insert to take the strip of wood?

Just makes me curious....

-Chris

I have never noticed his but he may be using one of this type and just using wood for the insert.

http://eagleamerica.com/betterley-tr.../p/400%2D1090/

Norm uses a wood dynamics zctp. The replaceable wood strip is cut like a dovetail which keeps it from lifting out. If you make a stack of inserts you can swap them quickly and the insert remains level with the table.

http://www.wooddynamics.com/index.htm

Unfortunately WoodDynamics is out of business, at least for the time being. Hopefully they will return or someone will buy them. I have one and fortunately for me I bought several packs of their inserts before they closed. I did contact the company a few months ago and was told that I may be able to get an extra throat plate to fit my Uni but I haven't heard form them as yet.

Real good timing...I am in the process of making ZCI for my table saw. I am making mine using UHMW for the blank and 1/4" hardboard as the filler strip. Each filler strip will have it's own customized splitter for each blade. I plan on having a filler strip for each and every blade in my inventory. The best part of this project is that no specail equipment is needed. A standard dovetail bit is all you need.
    Gary

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I highly recommend them if you can find one. If I recall correctly, they sold for about $100 which is cheap considering the machining involved.
    I made one out of aluminum plate for my Unisaw. I designed it with 45* dovetails so it is very easy to make the 1/8” dovetailed inserts in batches compared to making the whole insert.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks everybody... I don't know why, but a dovetailed joint there never crossed my mind. Looks like I'm going to have to fire up the Bridgeport!

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bruno View Post
    Thanks everybody... I don't know why, but a dovetailed joint there never crossed my mind. Looks like I'm going to have to fire up the Bridgeport!

-Chris
    Chris, if you have a Bridgeport and know how to use it, then the plate is a piece-o-cake to make. I have AutoCAD drawings of the one I made for my Unisaw. PM me if interested.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have a Solidworks part model file for a right tilt Unisaw insert. My buddy machined one of these for me and had it red anodized. If you have Mastercam or something that can use a file let me know and I'll send it to you.

The Wooddynamics was the best z.c.i. on the market.
    There's an article over on WC in the article section.
    Piece of cake. You could also make it from cutting board plastic (HDPE). I find the UHMW doesn't stay as flat. The aluminum works easily with typcal wood working tools.
    Last edited by Glenn Clabo; 02-10-2008 at 1:50 PM. Reason: Links to other public or private forums are not allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lizek View Post
    The Wooddynamics was the best z.c.i. on the market.
    There's an article over on WC in the article section.
    Piece of cake. You could also make it from cutting board plastic (HDPE). I find the UHMW doesn't stay as flat. The aluminum works easily with typcal wood working tools.
    Interesting article. Obviously it is possible, but it would take a bigger man than me to do all that with a router.
    Last edited by Glenn Clabo; 02-10-2008 at 1:54 PM. Reason: TOS...see below.

Andy Rooney

Bruce...Have you tried using a standard router bit (dovetail) in your Bridgeport rather then using a 45º endmill to mill aluminum?

Gary

I've enjoyed this thread and optios. I will be looking into making my own zero clearance insert with replaceable center once the saw arrives.

I would think these would be offered by several manufactuers as thay are such a handy way to do the zero clearance.
    One good turn deserves another

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell View Post
    Bruce...Have you tried using a standard router bit (dovetail) in your Bridgeport rather then using a 45º endmill to mill aluminum?

Gary
    No I haven't Gary. I have a couple of regular metal cutting dovetail cutters that I use.
    I'm sure the router bit would work as long as you could control the size of the cut. My biggest problem with doing it with a router would be those hot aluminum chips flying EVERYWHERE! It’s bad enough with a milling machine…

Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    No I haven't Gary. I have a couple of regular metal cutting dovetail cutters that I use.
    I'm sure the router bit would work as long as you could control the size of the cut. My biggest problem with doing it with a router would be those hot aluminum chips flying EVERYWHERE! It’s bad enough with a milling machine…
    I have access to a Bridgeport...thinking of trying out router dovetail bit on aluminum. I suppose if I take light passes and not move it up or down but move it horizontally it should be fine.