Thread: Must see places in New England near Boston

Must see places in New England near Boston

My wife and I are going to be in the New England area next week. We will fly into Boston and then be in the Kennabunk Maine area for 4 days with a group working with a church. We will see some of that area of Maine while we are there. We will see some of Boston over a couple of days and then plan to stay 3 days longer and I'm looking for must see places to go. We will have a car to get around. We did see a lot of New Hampshire a few years ago in the Fall, but I'm open to things to do there also. Looking for day trip ideas out of the Boston area. We like scenery and historical places.

Salem is a nice day trip. Harvard and Cambridge is a good visit. Old Ironsides might have tours now; not sure.

When visiting Boston my main objective is to go to "When Pigs Fly" to buy their savory breads.

Born and raised about 40 miles from Boston. The norms will be Faneuil Hall Market, Boston Aquarieum, Historic walks in the area, Boston Museum of Science. If your into art the MFA (Museum of Fine Arts) is great. Something I would tell anyone not to miss would be to go on a whale watch while your there. You can book them right near the Aquarium from several place. As Wade said, a trip up the north shore is fantatic for shopping and mind blowing fresh seafood. Its a short trip up to Gloucester. Great shops, and great food. Heading south you can hit Plymoth plantation and Plymoth rock. Again, short trip from the city.

Youll have much of the same costal experience in Maine. My parents were from ME and VT so we covered that whole area a lot.

If the season is right (you can ask around) I cant emphasize the whale watch enough. We were never left short and I have been on dozens and dozens. To see such a beast surface sometime dead next to the boat is a life changing experience.
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 09-26-2017 at 7:02 PM.

Blog Entries
    If you've never done it the freedom trail is worthwhile as are visits to Concord and Lexington. There is a trolley tour that makes the Concord to Lexington trip now.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

One place I wanted to visit when I was spending weekends in the area but never did was the Old Schwamb Mill. I saw it on New Yankee Workshop and thought it looked interesting.

http://www.oldschwambmill.org/main.html

This may be too far afield for you but I found it kind of neat:

https://www.americanprecision.org/

The DUCK BOATS give a fun narrated tour and touch most of the bases. Right close to Kennabunk are two beautiful lighthouses Nubble Light York Maine and Portland Light Portland Maine. If you want a life changing event go to a PATRIOTS Game and see TOM BRADY at work. You will probably end up moving here! Have fun, Kevin

Mike's Pastry for a cannolo (you'll walk past it on the Freedom Trail), the glass flower collection at the Harvard museum of Natural History, Minuteman park in Concord, a boat trip out to the harbor islands (there's one with a revolutionary era fort on it), the Common and Boston Garden, Fenway Park, the Arnold arboretum. Quincy market has turned into a suburban shopping mall, so I'd skip it, but the new Boston market at Haymarket a block away is pretty nice.

Boston is extremely walkable. You will have a much better time if you dump your car and walk or take the T. Lots of places are a 20 minute drive but a 5 minute walk apart-- and parking is fearsomely expensive.

I would skip the Salem witch trial place (typical tourist trap). I thought Plymouth landing was worth the visit. Also enjoyed a day trip to Nantucket. Walking tour of the old city of Boston was cool (Old North Church, old cemetery and other buildings from revolutionary period, and Old Ironsides / USS Constitution exhibit)

Old Sturbridge Village (45 minutes west of boston)
    Plymouth Plantation.

if choosing between the two, go to Sturbridge. old woodworking stuff there also!

A couple of often missed places near Boston

Saugus Iron Works NHP. First foundry in the US
    www.nps.gov/sair/index.htm

Lowell NHP. Old mills still running, canals and a melting pot of city neighborhoods
    https://www.nps.gov/lowe/index.htm

You will find more options than time. But all of your options will tend to be good choices.
    Enjoy your stay

A long day trip Take Interstate 93 north to New Hampshire exit 32 RT 112 north over the Kancamagus Hwy to North Conway, you won't find a prettier fall foliage ride anywhere in New England its 32 niles no gas so gas up in Lincoln when you get off the Hyw. When you reach the end of the Kacamagus turn right on RT 16, You'll find several places to eat as you head back. When you get to rt 25 turn rt go to Meredith turn left on rt 3 turn rt on to 104 back to 93 south to Boston. Long day leave early get back late but worth the trip.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    A long day trip Take Interstate 93 north to New Hampshire exit 32 RT 112 north over the Kancamagus Hwy to North Conway, you won't find a prettier fall foliage ride anywhere in New England its 32 niles no gas so gas up in Lincoln when you get off the Hyw. When you reach the end of the Kacamagus turn right on RT 16, You'll find several places to eat as you head back. When you get to rt 25 turn rt go to Meredith turn left on rt 3 turn rt on to 104 back to 93 south to Boston. Long day leave early get back late but worth the trip.
    I'd highly recommend Kancamagus Hwy any time of year.

Also, if you continue up 93, the tram car runs up Cannon Mountain on the weekends through mid-October. Views from the top are amazing.

There's also Canterbury Shaker Village. Very easy trip from Boston. http://www.shakers.org

They have a wood shop!