Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anarchist Tool Chest Build

Nice work. ( as always )

You do such beautiful work Mike. I always look forward to your next endeavor, here on the Creek. Thankyou for posting the way you do things.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Hey Mike,

Came across this post again and a couple of thoughts:

1) that is one radical plow plane, looks straight off the set of the Jetsons!

2) how do you like working out of the chest now that you've had a chance to break it in?

Best,
    Chris

Hi Chris,

You're absolutely right, my 1970s era Record plow plane looks like it could have come right out of the Jetsons cartoon! This was one of the first hand tools I bought when I was in college and I've had it for 30 years – I think it took me that long to figure out how to make it work! Tolerances for the guide rods/fence can only be charitably described as "approximate". This makes trying to adjust the fence parallel to the sole of the plane, and end up with the blade the correct distance from the fence an exercise in frustration.

If I had any brains I would try and come up with a shop built version that would be easier to use. I think I could figure out the plane body, adjustment rods and fence, but I'm stumped about how I would secure blades of varying widths against the bed of the plane. I would very much appreciate any advice, suggestions or plans for a shop built, wooden plow plane that might help me with these challenges?

To your 2nd question, I'm surprised how much I like working out of the chest. My shop is the equivalent of a one car garage and 95% of my work is with hand tools. Even though I have 2 workbenches and a saw bench in close proximity, horizontal surfaces are always in short supply. Seems like there always covered with tools "I'm sure I'm gonna need again in a couple minutes so no reason to put it back in the rack"".

The thing I like most about the tool chest as I can roll it right up next to the bench and put the tools I'm currently using for a given task (like making drawers for example), in the top couple sliding trays where there readily accessible yet off the benchtop. If I had to do over again, I think I would leave the top couple trays completely open, without dividers, so it's easier to put a broad range of different size tools where there readily accessible, and not having to fuss with divided compartments etc.

For example when making dovetailed drawers I've usually got marking knife, square, dividers, bevel/angle gauge, marking gauge, pencil, dovetail saw, fret saw, chisels, plow plane, etc. scattered about in easy reach.
    Before I built the chest, these tools were usually laying on the benchtop and frequently got in the way of using devices, bench surface. Now, those tools all go neatly in the chest and the bench is a little less cluttered and easier to use.

This kind of layout might not work for someone that wants to use the chest as their primary tool storage. I like having my saws, planes, marking tools hanging on the walls where there readily accessible and I have a larger, stationary tool cabinet that holds lots of stuff at eye level, consequently I don't need to put everything in the chest so I can leave the top couple trays open for holding just those tools associated with the given project.

Thanks for the intro/comments. Didn't mean to make such a long post. I really enjoy visiting other shops/woodworkers see how they arrange their tools/workspace and thought it might be helpful to share what works for me.

All the best, Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    [edited for brevity]

You're absolutely right, my 1970s era Record plow plane looks like it could have come right out of the Jetsons cartoon! This was one of the first hand tools I bought when I was in college and I've had it for 30 years – I think it took me that long to figure out how to make it work! Tolerances for the guide rods/fence can only be charitably described as "approximate". This makes trying to adjust the fence parallel to the sole of the plane, and end up with the blade the correct distance from the fence an exercise in frustration.

All the best, Mike
    This brings back memories of an old friend and me visiting the Whole Earth Catalog Store in south Berkeley, CA back then. They had this plane on display. The good part of it was they also had spare blades. My father had given me a type 6 #45 and these blades were compatible.

One of my solutions for the out of square fence problem with a Stanley #45 is to use shop made wooden gauges to set the fence. Another solution to a plane with an out of square to the body fence was a shim between the metal and wood on the fence.

Maybe it is time for me to do a write up on plow/combination/multi planes.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

Maybe it is time for me to do a write up on plow/combination/multi planes.

jtk

Yes please JK!

Hello Mike,

I'm still laughing a bit at the idea of George Jetson using a plow plane. That would make him a real working by hand in a future space age!

FWIW, you might try the new LV combo. I succumbed and am super impressed-miles better than my old record 043 which was super cute and did a fine job. Derek did build a wooden plow (uber impressive as usual) and it is on his web site i believe.

Thanks for your thoughtful and thorough reply to my question about the chest in use... just what I was looking for. I've been pondering because I'm in the process of shopping for a new house and working out of a chest may be part of the equation. I've been curious because, while a chest seems like a good idea, much of the world seems to favor tool racks/cabinets on the wall. I have a modest wall rack and till which I quite like. Having watched several trends wax and wane, I've been wondering if much of the recent attention for the chest has been deserved or not. You hit on an advantage that I have not yet heard discussed or mentioned. Your system sounds like it has the advantages of a tool tray in a bench without the mess!

I'd love to hear from others who work with/out of a chest too (even though this has been discussed before).

Thanks again,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Have built two chests.....the lid seemed to gather all sorts of stuff, then it takes to long to dig a tool out....so, there is now a 5 drawer chest of drawers in the shop....Tools that do not have a til somewhere in the shop, go into a drawer. Beats bending our to get something out of the chest...

I have a large shop, but little wall space. When I finish the kitchen hutch I'm currently working on, I plan to build a chest similar to the one from the CS book. I have a split top Roubo bench and use tool holders that go in the split. It's fine until I need to work on a larger panel or glue-up. Then, I have to find somewhere safe for the chisels and marking tools. I think a chest that's easy to access beside my bench will really help. My planes, saws, and other large tools go on the bench shelf currently, but get covered in dust and shavings, so it will help with that too.

Mike,

I'm really glad this thread popped back up as I missed the original. Thanks for documenting the great build. I hope to start a tool chest based upon my Great-grandfather's (early 1900s), which is similar to the one in the CS book. I plan on using sycamore reclaimed from my daughter's house and trim it in walnut I obtained from Kent Bathurst a few years ago. A cousin has the chest, but most of the tools have disappeared over the years. My mother, who was born in the house he built, said he had two chests; wish I knew what happened to the other one as I couldn't find any of his molding planes. I did find a Winchester No. 10 saw and what appears to be a handmade scraper.

Tool Chest-1.jpgTool Chest-8.jpgTool Chest-27.jpgTool Chest-31.jpgTool Chest-34.jpgTool Chest-39.jpg

I really appreciate the detail you put into the build thread.
    Thanks,
    Wayne

wayne that will be a nice project. sounds like it will look a little nicer than your grandpas painted one. i have a sweet little winchester back saw do you have any idea who made the saws for winchester? post pics of your bulid when you do it. jerry

Gerald,

I've got to finish the vanity (2 drawers to go - the dovetails are getting acceptable) for our bathroom, build the closet system, and finish the wood trim on on the sailboat (its only 14' long), before I start the chest. His chest has survived a century with a lot harder use than mine will ever see.

Not sure who made the saws for Winchester, but I'm sure someone on here knows.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Collier View Post
    Mike,

I'm really glad this thread popped back up as I missed the original. Thanks for documenting the great build. I hope to start a tool chest based upon my Great-grandfather's (early 1900s), which is similar to the one in the CS book. I plan on using sycamore reclaimed from my daughter's house and trim it in walnut I obtained from Kent Bathurst a few years ago. A cousin has the chest, but most of the tools have disappeared over the years. My mother, who was born in the house he built, said he had two chests; wish I knew what happened to the other one as I couldn't find any of his molding planes. I did find a Winchester No. 10 saw and what appears to be a handmade scraper.

Tool Chest-1.jpgTool Chest-8.jpgTool Chest-27.jpgTool Chest-31.jpgTool Chest-34.jpgTool Chest-39.jpg

I really appreciate the detail you put into the build thread.
    Thanks,
    Wayne
    Wayne, I declare you the official winner of "best reason to build a tool chest" - your grandfathers chest is awesome and the wood sourced from your daughter and Kent (on of my all time favorite Creekers- Kent please come bac, we miss you), make the project all the more compelling.

I look forward to see your project- please poshest, Mike