Thread: Ply versus hardwood for large project

Ply versus hardwood for large project

Hey all. This is a great forum. This is my first time posting here, but I've been lurking for a while.

I have plans for building a large armoir: http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/findpro...DID=6&sku=1610

The plans call for the sides to be cut from 3/4" birch plywood. I'm assuming that the designer feels that ply is more stable and less apt to warp, move, etc, and maybe a bit cheaper. I am wondering wether I could just glue up my own solid hardwood panels? I'm not concerned about the cost, but am wanting some wisdom from the forums.

Thanks alot,
    Chadd

Solid sides

You sure can. BUT don't forget that you need to allow for and deal with the expansion and contraction of the wood you are making the sides out of. When I use solid for the sides I also use it for the top and bottom. With the grain going left to right on the top and bottom they can be glued to the sides and will move right along with them. Anything that is attached across the grain will need to be considered. Steve
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

That's what raised panels

are for. The center panel floats to allow for seasonal wood movement. I didn't view the plans, so I don't know if that applies. Like Steve said is another option - make the sides/top/bottom from large glued up planks as well with the grain all running in the same orientation. The internal shelves then can be placed with the grain in the same direction as the top/bottom.

Ply versus hardwood for large project

Thanks guys. I'll take note the grain direction when I start assembling this thing. I appreciate the replys.

Chadd

Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by chaddhamilton
    Hey all. This is a great forum. This is my first time posting here, but I've been lurking for a while.

I have plans for building a large armoir: http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/findpro...DID=6&sku=1610

The plans call for the sides to be cut from 3/4" birch plywood. I'm assuming that the designer feels that ply is more stable and less apt to warp, move, etc, and maybe a bit cheaper. I am wondering wether I could just glue up my own solid hardwood panels? I'm not concerned about the cost, but am wanting some wisdom from the forums.

Thanks a lot,
    Chadd
    Chadd -

First - welcome to Sawmill Creek. Glad you posted so we can meet you.

I am with Steve on this. Yes, you can glue up solid wood panels. However, plywood gives stability to large items. Cross grain wood movement can be significant with humidity changes, so care has to be taken using solid wood. Use of ply also alleviates the need for large glue-ups and subsequent panel flattening.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shrader
    Chadd -

First - welcome to Sawmill Creek. Glad you posted so we can meet you.

I am with Steve on this. Yes, you can glue up solid wood panels. However, plywood gives stability to large items. Cross grain wood movement can be significant with humidity changes, so care has to be taken using solid wood. Use of ply also alleviates the need for large glue-ups and subsequent panel flattening.

Ted
    Hey Ted. Well, movement is a big consideration here in South Carolina, as it get's very humid. I've built a few pieces of furniture from eastern white pine and mahogany and have noticed some movement in all of them. Hopefully, using a soft maple will cut down on the movement a bit.

As for the large glue ups; yeah they're gonna take some time and patience to get right, but I've got alot of free time in the evenings. I'll surface plane the boards to ~7/8", glue up, and then hand plane the panels down to ~3/4". I have access to an industrial surface planer if I lose my motivation to plane
    Chadd

Solid wood glueups

Quote Originally Posted by chaddhamilton
    Hey Ted. Well, movement is a big consideration here in South Carolina, as it get's very humid. I've built a few pieces of furniture from eastern white pine and mahogany and have noticed some movement in all of them. Hopefully, using a soft maple will cut down on the movement a bit.

As for the large glue ups; yeah they're gonna take some time and patience to get right, but I've got alot of free time in the evenings. I'll surface plane the boards to ~7/8", glue up, and then hand plane the panels down to ~3/4". I have access to an industrial surface planer if I lose my motivation to plane

Hey Chadd, I was going to remind you of all the work taking the panels down to thickness till I read your last reply, about the ind planer, and loss of motivation (easy in this weather here). Go with the solid, I have a stack of southern maple just waiting for cooler weather for a set of solid cabinets for myself, I don't do that for customers, most are tightwad types, ply is cheaper and quicker, but it also warps.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Welcome

Chadd,

From one South Carolinian to another, "Welcome To The Creek".
    Lots of good people here that really enjoy wood working.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Von Bickley; 06-24-2003 at 8:54 PM.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Welcome to the forum...a nice place to dip your toes, in...

I'm generally a fan of solid wood for furniture and normally only use sheet goods for things like kitchen cabinetry, etc. This is more demanding as it requires careful grain and color matching as well as considerations for wood movement that are milder with sheet goods.

I like to challenge myself on ever project so if you like the idea of solid panels, go for it!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...