Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Shop (Finally!)

New Shop (Finally!)

Last December I moved my family so I could be closer to work. We left our 1 acre lot with 1200 sq ft shop for an over-sized 1/3 acre city lot.

After some saving and planning, the backyard shop is about to become a reality. The plan is for a 24x24 metal building.

The building will be insulated with rolled fiberglass batting, walls sheathed in 3/4" plywood, flooring will be epoxy.
    609-GARTH-BROOKS-NW-3.jpg609-GARTH-BROOKS-SW-2.jpg

Even though this shop will be less than half the size of my last shop, I think it will better suit my needs. Having insulation and natural light alone will be a vast improvement.

I'll be starting the dirt work as soon as the permits come through

Updates to come.
    Duc in altum!

Blog Entries
    Looking forward to seeing your progress.
    I've ordered an Amish 12x20 garage and just getting started on prepping the ground. I'd have gone wider if they could get it past the house and fence.
    Sure hope i'm not disappointed with the meager size. I'd love to have one your size.

Got my permit, but not for electrical yet.

Good luck with your new digs.

Hello Jamie, Bill ... good luck to both of you with your new shops! I'm going through the same process right now; the shell of my shop building is complete and I'm currently doing some of the rough wiring before my contractor comes to finish the electrical service. I recently posted info regarding my shop here on Sawmill Creek and I've been encouraged by the comments and suggestions, hopefully you'll have a similar experience. If you look at my posting you'll see I believe in planning and designing a project before moving to construction, I see Jamie has done the same thing. As Bill is doing, I contracted with a local Amish builder for my 20x20 shop. I used both 2D and 3D drawings to get an initial quote and then referred to those documents as the workers were building ... I got exactly what I wanted.

Again, all the best with your projects and if you have any questions about my project, feel free to ask.

Thanks for the encouragement. I am extremely excited now. The permits have come through, I have most of the dirt work done; just a few more yards yet to be delivered tomorrow. I should have the dirt all finished by the weekend! I do have my two little helpers to keep the project moving along.
    Helpers.jpg
    If all goes well, I should have the slab by next week.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Duc in altum!

Dirt done!

All the dirt is done! Now for the contractor to take over and pour the slab. Should have it in place in the next week or so.

The slab going down also means finalizing color combinations for the metal and trim. I’m thinking about a medium grey with white trim (like the Sketchup drawings show in the first post). Input on color combos is welcome. Pictures of example shops are even better!
    Duc in altum!

The slab is done.
    slab2.jpg
    The obligatory family hand prints have been placed.
    prints.jpg
    Framing and sheeting to come soon!
    Duc in altum!

That's some exciting progress!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I like the slab AND the handprints! I can't think of much more exciting than a new shop going up.

One idea: I used to capture the handprints in the pour then realized one day I had to leave them behind when we moved. I started making little 2x4 forms (if I remembered) and put prints there too for portable keepsakes. Only problem is, we didn't always write names so I have no idea whose little feet are on one block I have.

Any issues with pouring on fresh brought in fill? How do you account for settling?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Congratulations! It sounds like you are making great progress. I hope it all works out for you.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I am excited to finally be at this stage. There has been a lot of talk and planning up till now and it’s finally coming to fruition.
    I scraped the top soil off the lawn then brought in the fill dirt. It was thoroughly packed, added to and packed again. There are 8 3’x18 footings, one at each corner and in the middle of each side. I hope that will mitigate any settling issues.

Progress continues: framing started!

F810882C-EE0F-4E03-A4C7-62652709AF7C.jpgE53FCAAA-2030-4570-AB71-473BFD31FC10.jpgA348FF0D-E00B-4A4C-8182-86F98EA988BE.jpg
    Duc in altum!

That's a really kewel view of the frame with just the windows and doors! LOL. I guess you can really visualize things a lot better now with that frame up. Great progress!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

More progress. It’s getting so close that I can almost hear the whir of the table saw!
    E2FD55BC-658E-463B-A484-6DF1617A704D.jpg85696AB3-E6B5-469E-9BF2-AFAE04BC7E7B.jpgD5BD2BA3-AA4C-4E3B-8640-851EDE38973A.jpg
    I’m thinking about leaving the roof off to take advantage of all the natural light
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Duc in altum!

Where did you bring the power in at?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Power will be brought in on the wall perpendicular to the garage door. It will be it’s own dedicated service. The electrician is scheduled for next week, weather and building permitting.
    Duc in altum!