Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: lens longevity

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    In 20 years I've never had to replace a lens. My current one is 11 years old. Keep the lens clean and use your air assist when cutting.

I have always declined jobs where cutting 1/4" plywood was necessary. I had issues with that as well but I was working with a 25 or 45 watt machine.
    I'm sorry... Did you say 20 YEARS??? That's impressive. Albeit, I'm no expert or anything, but 20 years.. that's amazing.
    Epilog Fusion M2 40 Watt CO2 Laser

That is correct and on my last machine which was 11 years old, the new owner is still using the same lens. (and the original mirrors)
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Depends on:

Power. If you are running at 180 W 100% Which I have done trying to depth engrave then the lens can get hot and crack....probably wasn't enough air.
    Dirt on the lens. Dirt absorbs heat and lens gets hot. Also can bake on and then the coating comes off when you clean if it isn't off already.
    When you aren't centered down the middle of the cone tip then that can get pretty hot. I've always wondered if temp affects the lens. Usually have to use higher power anyway if you aren't centered .

I get my lenses from laserwd.com. Consistent high quality and not expensive.
    Last edited by Joseph Shawa; 03-14-2018 at 7:54 PM.
    Chinese 6040 by NiceCut. Originally 60 Watt upgraded to 150 Watt.....I thought I had pretty much every problem in the book of laser cutting. It turns out that there is a set of books.

My old 1997 ULS that my BIL owns now is still on its original lens. The coating is actually looks to be in sad shape, but it still puts down a crisp readable 1mm. tall letter...

My 14 year old LS900 lens is original, and Gary will have to let me know if the lens in my 12-13 year old GCC is the original, although I suspect it is-- not sure who made that particular lens, but even after 3 years of my brutal cleaning the thing has nary even the faintest of scratches. My $20 Ebay lenses have more scratches fresh out of the box!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

But what's the power of the laser?
    Chinese 6040 by NiceCut. Originally 60 Watt upgraded to 150 Watt.....I thought I had pretty much every problem in the book of laser cutting. It turns out that there is a set of books.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Gary will have to let me know if the lens in my 12-13 year old GCC is the original, although I suspect it is--
    yep, the original lens.

Plywood... interior grade glue lasers dead easily.
    Exterior grade glues (most) can be harder to laser through than the wood itself, and vary in thickness and density.
    Best wishes,
    Ian

ULS M-300, 55w made 2002 with rotary. Goldenlaser 130 watt, 1300x700 made 2011.
    Flat bed 2500x1300 150/90watt 2 tube laser, 2018 model.
    Esab router, 1989, 4.5 x 2.0 m, conv. to Tekcel, and modded a 2nd time.
    HP L260-60". Roland PNC-1410. Mimaki GC-130 SU.
    Screenprinting carousel 6x4 and 7x4 ft 1-arm bandit vac table.
    Corel Draw X3, Illy, Indesign & Photoshop CS2 & CS5, Enroute 4
    Pencil, paper, paintbrush, airbrush & dagger-liners & assorted other stuff.

What kind of mirrors please? I'm having horrible mirror issues, however I live in Fiji with high heat and moisture and I tend to buy cheap mirrors. I'm looking to find advice on long lasting mirrors and am happy to pay the price!