Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: lens longevity

lens longevity

60w hurricane laser. we mostly engrave in wood, but occasionally cut 1/4" plywood panels. we're using it (average) less than five hours a week.

i replaced my 2" lens with an inexpensive one from amazon a few months ago. we've been cutting a few templates from 1/4" ply and the cut depth has been inconsistent. it appears the lens is on its way out.

how often should i be cleaning the lens?

are better lens worth the money?

what can i do to increase the usage between replacing the lens?

If the lens isn't covered with black char, which happens, and is only marginally scratched up, it's likely not the problem with the inconsistent cutting.
    I say this because--
    fo3.jpg
    THIS lens, with the cracks and dual halos left from cleaning black char (which caused the cracks), cuts and engraves exactly the same as any of my other lenses.

But $18 lenses are available on Ebay, no they're not very durable, they tend to scratch fairly easily, but for the price, they're a cheap consumable, and a new one will tell you if the old one was the culprit.

You may have a smudge or some other guck on a mirror or beam alignment issue-

How's your cooling water temp? As it's temp goes up, power density goes down...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

kev,

my water chiller stays at around 19c. we make sure we turn it on 10-15 minutes before we run the laser.

i ordered two new lenses this morning and they should be here on wednesday. last time i switched out the lens (a few months ago), the difference was pretty night and day. i just figured i was operating from the old/original lens so i was surprised that this one seems bad already. maybe my expectations are wrong?

In 20 years I've never had to replace a lens. My current one is 11 years old. Keep the lens clean and use your air assist when cutting.

I have always declined jobs where cutting 1/4" plywood was necessary. I had issues with that as well but I was working with a 25 or 45 watt machine.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 09-26-2017 at 7:18 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

>>cutting a few templates from 1/4" ply and the cut depth has been inconsistent. <<

It might be your lens but it might just be the plywood itself. If you are using the cheap imported plywood at the big box hardware store, the plywood can be highly variable in how much glue is used and the type of glue used. Some of that stuff is really hard for a laser to cut through while other pieces can cut just fine. Throw in the fact that they often stock plywood from multiple vendors and you can have real issues with consistency.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

Our lens average about 2 - 6 months but we are cutting atleast 40 hours a week per machine. You should be cleaning your lens each day before you start cutting, We clean ours each morning with some distilled water and cotton swabs and we are good to go all day. Cutting plywood is very messy and requires machine cleaning more often than most other materials. Try a few name brand companies and find a good lens that works for you, we have found after trying some of the ebay and amazon lens and mirrors there is a huge lack of quality and they dont last long at all. Make sure you keep your mirrors clean as well, this is just as important as your lens.

Trying cleaning your lens and a quick mirror clean each day you use your machine and it should show great results right away.
    3X Camfive 1200 48" x 24" 100watt Tube
    Zcorp 450 3d Printer
    Laguna Smartshop 2 - 4x8 ATC

thanks for the notes. we've only cleaned the lens one time (yesterday) and have never cleaned the mirrors. i'll give that a shot.

our 1/4" ply is imported. is there something else that would work better for template material (and considering costs, i'm sure there is a better medium)? we're using 1/4" ply, cut on the laser, as a template to make a 3/4" mdf template. we then take the 3/4" mdf template and use it to make cuts in the wood.

The best wood we have found so fair for cutting and affordability is Russian Baltic Birch. We go through about 15 skids a month of 1/8,1/4 and 1/2" and it always cuts well. It has a solid birch core so its strong and cuts great each sheet. We use it for our laser cut parts and we make tons of cabinet components - Since it has a solid core there no voids and we dont often see hard spots. Most plywood wholesalers have it in stock or can order it.
    Zcorp 450 3d Printer

I clean my lens 3 or 4 times a day if I'm cutting wood or a lot of plastic. Mirrors less often. I also do a lot of Cermark which is a dirty material.

I never use water. Always lens cleaner or in a pinch acetone.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 09-26-2017 at 11:39 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Mike why so often ???

With positive air flow the lens shouldn't be getting dirty that fast - We have two shifts on our lasers today (16 hours) and will only be cleaning them twice on a bad day.

Just curious , Im sure trotec lens are alot more expensive than my $30 lens so I might have answered my own question :-)
    Zcorp 450 3d Printer

I use quality eyeglass cleaner which is good at cleaning light gunk off. Additionally, I have a dedicated micro fiber cloth for cleaning the lens because many lenses are coated with stuff that you don't want to get on other stuff. The cloths are cheap at the glasses counter at Walmart and they don't damage the surface/coating of the lens. A good wetting, application of mild dish soap and thorough rinsing under the tap will keep the cloth clean.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

Robert
    Compare my replacement frequency with yours. Granted, I don't cut much wood but I do cut a good bit of plastic and do a lot of raster engraving.

My mirrors rarely accumulate any grime but I do not use air assist on raster engraving as I find no apparent benefit. As Kev says in the next post, Cermark can make a mess of a lens in a hurry and as a matter of habit I clean the lens after a couple of hours of using Cermark.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 09-26-2017 at 12:53 PM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Bonenfant View Post
    Mike why so often ???

With positive air flow the lens shouldn't be getting dirty that fast
    That's the trick, that positive airflow...

I don't cut wood, but I engrave and cut a lot of engraving acrylic.. that said--
    My LS900 lens stays clean for weeks no matter what I engrave or cut. My mirrors hardly ever get dirty. GREAT airflow, NO smoke drifts upward.
    My GCC lens and mirrors stay clean for a few minutes no matter what I engrave. It LOOKS like it has good air flow, but doesn't, and I'm working on that -- After engraving a square foot of anything on Romark, there's a haze buildup on the mirrors that highlight the red LED- a quick swipe with a dry Q-tip and the LED becomes almost invisible. And that's the mirrors, the lens gets worse, faster. I clean its lens and mirrors before any job, and especially Cermark, as a little haze can be the difference between being done or having to run a second pass.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

When I was running 8 hours a day I would clean twice a day, now only after a big cutting job. I have replaced all mirrors once, lenses twice, and that’s in 13 years. I still have and use the cleaner liquid provided by Epilog when I bought my machine, and Kodak lens cleaning tissues.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Mike that makes sense and im sure trotec lens are alot higher quality than the junk ones we use. We could run them longer but for $30 a lens replacing them after a few months make sense if we see any type of imperfection. For the cost of the trotec lens I would probably clean them more often as well.
    Zcorp 450 3d Printer