Thread: Bird's eye figure in cherry

Bird's eye figure in cherry

Attached are a couple of photos of some cherry I have. It started as 8/4 that I intended to use for chairs. After seeing the intermittent bird's eye figure, I am wondering if it might be more suitable for turning. As you can see in one photo, the defects penetrate through the growth rings.

Two questions: Has you seen this figuring in cherry or any wood other than maple, and what suggestions do you have for use? I probably have about 20 bdft of the wood that is 8/4 by 8" wide.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

I know that as cats paw cherry. A lot of times the cluster of little knots makes a cats paw shape. When it is heavy enough it can look really good.
    Diamanwoodcrafters

Blog Entries
    Yes, I've seen areas like that in cherry. It isn't uncommon to see spots like that in boards. Sometimes you even see pitch pockets.

Here is a tea caddy I recently completed and you can see some spots right on the front.
    IMG_0387.jpg
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 09-23-2017 at 3:56 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Dave Diaman, nice to see you posting. Long time fan of your work and appreciate your build threads from a few years back. Patrick

GMBLmedCab_8319.jpg
    Reproduction of a medicine cabinet from the garage at the Gamble house.

Quote Originally Posted by David Utterback View Post
    Attached are a couple of photos of some cherry I have. It started as 8/4 that I intended to use for chairs. After seeing the intermittent bird's eye figure, I am wondering if it might be more suitable for turning. As you can see in one photo, the defects penetrate through the growth rings.

Two questions: Has you seen this figuring in cherry or any wood other than maple, and what suggestions do you have for use? I probably have about 20 bdft of the wood that is 8/4 by 8" wide.

Thanks
    I've seen that a number of times in cherry, some just this past week. Always sparse, never much. I have had a little in turnings and the figure is in fact interesting if you get it in the right spot, like in the side of a handle or box (although 8/4 is a little on the small side for a turned box.)

JKJ

Thanks for the responses. I like cat's paw for a name. They appear to be remnants from small branches that never matured. There are many of them in the several of the boards that I bought for making chairs. Unless carefully managed, I am afraid they would detract from the design. I guess that is the case with all figuring though.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

If you want to see some examples of different figure you can find in Cherry take a look at the Certainly Wood Veneer site under cherry. https://www.certainlywood.com/woodme...stic%20Veneers