Thread: Glue up and Wood Movement - The Pine Box (Spool Cabinet)

Glue up and Wood Movement - The Pine Box (Spool Cabinet)

I just finished dry fitting the Side and Rear Panels for the Spool Cabinet I'm building. I still need to pre-finish the pieces, but am starting to consider the glue up. This is a photo of one of the dry fitted panels.
    Dry Fitted Panel.jpg

I know I need to allow for the panels to move, so do I glue them on just one side or do I let them float completely free. If I do glue a side, is there a preferred side to leave loose? The wood in this is old, reclaimed pine? from our home and is likely virgin. It is very stable when milling. Does that change anything?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Lisa

In the past I've left them loose, but backfilled the groove with something resilient like foam or screen spline to prevent rattles yet allow movement. There are little foam balls available that are intended for a similar purpose. I spoke to a gent once that swore by flexible bathtub caulk. He'd shoot little gobs in the grooves, usually two per side, and then glue the assembly up. The caulk provided some adhesive effect but was flexible enough that the wood panels could expand and contract without splitting anything.

Like with anything else, your mileage may vary......
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.