Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Felder 540 bandsaw vs new laguna 14bx

The 540,640,740, are still rebadged ACM. The FB series are as Peter said, partially Euro, partially not. The MM 20 and 24 will tension higher than the FB 510 or 610. That may not be important to all so each must decide if the type of sawing and blades used demand higher tension. Dave

Hi Ryan
    Sorry you didn't get the saw.
    There was a discussion not 2 or 3 months ago about those two saws.
    If I remember correctly, some folks were a bit worried about the possible deflection on the new Minimax's, due to extra resaw height.
    My feeling is this could have came from that recent thread.
    I think the older ones could be more stout (never seen one in the flesh)

If you like Italian saws there is also other brands, and if I'm not mistaken these factory's in Italy are in close proximity to each other.
    There is also a Centauro (makers of Minimax) CO600 that is a stout saw..also goes by brand name SCMI
    That can probably tension a 1" Woodmaster CT to 25,000 PSI without deflection, but the motors are fixed star 440 high voltage 3 phase.
    Not suitable for a VFD in my case, for phase conversion.
    Likewise I'm not sure my ACM Griggio Star/sna600 saw can tension one either.

I think Laguna still uses the ACM star line frames, like Felder used to do if I'm not mistaken.
    It doesn't seem they have changed that frame since at least 1997 when my machine was made ... guessing by the weight.
    I also think its been made before that, by the green paint on John Sanford's, say hello to papa Griggio post
    There is also Agazzani and Meber saws to choose from.
    Heres another post with the old SCMI saws ...
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...question/page2

Since you have the big panel saw, I think that the 1" Woodmaster CT is the blade to aspire to be able to tension correctly.
    Those last two saws look more than capable to me.
    I just have not heard anyone doing tests with this blade tensoning to 25000PSI on any 20+" saws
    That is the proof of the pudding.
    You only really need this blade if your cutting exotics or lots of timber though, and a cheaper blade would cost less to wreck.
    Like probably about 20 times less.

Hopefully this might help you source a machine for a bargain...
    or at least squeeze some more facts on these saws from you guys

Tomas

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Pappas View Post
    So what about a felder 610 vs a minimax mm20? I have a minimax SC4 elite and really like it.
    I'd stick with MiniMax then
    Last edited by Peter Kelly; 09-24-2017 at 4:44 PM.

Blog Entries
    MM20 resawing 15" Goncalo Alves

Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Class shots Brian
    Is that the current model ?, if so it doesn't look unproportional to me.
    There is some nice wee bits on the Minimax, the gib for the rack and pinion looks good if it works...
    The Centauro telescopic blade guard looks like it might be less effort to go from resawing that plank to ripping 1" stock.
    Heavier wheels than competition with easy swap tires are another reason.

I like all Italian saws

Felder ( and Bridgewood ) sold the heavier series ACM, not the Star. In the old days, so did Laguna for their larger saws although they may have changed that now. ACM makes Griggio saws just as Centauro makes saws for SCMI as well as minimax. Companies can tweak the specs if they order enough volume. Aggizanni used to another Italian saws but their designs are now made by Panhans. Panhans makes some fine machines but I've not seen their bandsaw. A used Bridgewood is a good find. Any Euro saw can be had in various voltages as they are sold worldwide, 240,380,480,600. Dave

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trees View Post
    Class shots Brian
    Is that the current model ?, if so it doesn't look unproportional to me.
    There is some nice wee bits on the Minimax, the gib for the rack and pinion looks good if it works...
    The Centauro telescopic blade guard looks like it might be less effort to go from resawing that plank to ripping 1" stock.
    Heavier wheels than competition with easy swap tires are another reason.

I like all Italian saws
    Thank you! Absolutely, this is in my home so I close the blade guard totally after each time I finish using the machine and leave the shop. Works very easily.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Ryan there is a MiniMax for sale on the forum as we speak in the for sale section....
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Thanks for setting me straight on that David, much appreciated, why? I don't know, its some sort of bandsaw disease
    I forgot about bridgewood!!! and Panhans if they sell the latter over there.
    If I'm not mistaken (again) did I hear about another Canadian firm importing Italian saws too?
    I hope I'm wrong on this, but In the UK and Ireland the Centauro CO600 seems to be fixed star here(no delta configuration)
    I have seen some sweet deals go by with these type motors.
    Tomas

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    Ryan there is a MiniMax for sale on the forum as we speak in the for sale section....

Awesome, I love seeing bandsaws find a good home.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    640-940 from Felder are re-badged ACM "BS" series saws. I believe the Felder 510-710 are Chinese ones sourced from Woodfast.

Either way, the 510 would still be a better choice than the Laguna.

Clarification for anyone who finds this thread in the future. The Felder FB series were built by ACM of Italy. The ACM BS540 is a Felder FB540, etc. Felder started making their own. First I believe was the FB600. Now a range from FB510 and up. The X10 series have nice features, nicer than the X40 series by ACM but people who've owned both report the X10 series are not as stiff. They do weight less but they may have been able to use CAD design tools to make better use of the steel for the spine.