Thread: Binks Mach 1 HVLP?

Binks Mach 1 HVLP?

Does anyone out there have any experience with a Binks Mach 1 hvlp gun? Thanks.
    Alan & Lynette Mikkelsen, Mountain View Farm Gardens & Fine Woodworking, St. Ignatius, MT. Visitors Welcome!

binks mach 1

four stars for what i do, primarily laquer (nitrocellulose) the gun is able to be run on "construction" compressors, delivers a good pattern and excellent material transfer.if you buy one be sure to get a 1/4" pressure regulator and an "at the gun" moisture/particle trap, known in these parts as a "pumpkin",install the regulator and pumpkin at the gun. if you plan on spraying water based finishes order a larger needle and orifice. in my opinion short of a sata the best gravity feed on the market. remember........to much laquer causes dain-bramage<O</O

Hey Tod, like your style! Very first post at SMC and already helping someone out and showing a sense of humor, to boot!!! Very cool! Welcome to the Creek! You'll find the place to be one of the premier forums anywhere on the Web, with tons of info and a super bunch of guys and gals! Come often, stay long and, in case you haven't browsed around too much, yet, we love pictures!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

thanks for the welcome hope i can be of assistance or a source of controversy..... or both?? posted a web address in the bio section, please keep in mind that the site hasn`t been updated in several years (no time or inclination) i only use it as a sales tool for prospective clients. just another `ol hippie cutting big boards into little ones and selling `em for all i can get.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    posted a web address in the bio section, please keep in mind that the site hasn`t been updated in several years (no time or inclination) i only use it as a sales tool for prospective clients. just another `ol hippie cutting big boards into little ones and selling `em for all i can get.
    Tod, I quite honestly don't know how many ways a guy can say, "Wow" but, let me try: WOW!!!!!

OK Alan, I'm NOT trying to hijack this thread but, it may be worth your while to take into consideration what Mr. Evans might have to say! You guys HAVE to check out his web site: http://www.todevans.com/todevans/sec...SectionID=1227

This has to be some of the most remarkable WW I've seen! Simply, a wonderful assortment of styles, skills and attention to detail right up there with the best of them! Tod, you do maginificent work and, I for one, am looking forward to any tips, hints, guidance and general dialogue, which you may bring to this forum! Again, WOW!!!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

Tod - Ditto to what John said! Exquisite body of work.
    Waymon...
    ...My heroes are not athletes, entertainers or politicians;
    ALL my heroes wear US Armed Forces uniforms...

Killin' Time before Lunch.....

And checked out your sight Tod. You do some very very fine work.

Glad to have you here.
    Matthew Poeller

Tod great site, great work and very cool dog...

I checked out this thread because I just came from a demo at the paint store on the Triton HVLP with a turbine, no compressor...I have a 25 gallon compressor so could go that way...I need more info from you guys.

Also, $895 is what they wanted for the system..how does that sound?

I have to get HVLP, it is on short list, but want to invest the right way.

Thanks for the help.

four stars for what i do, primarily laquer (nitrocellulose) the gun is able to be run on "construction" compressors, delivers a good pattern and excellent material transfer.if you buy one be sure to get a 1/4" pressure regulator and an "at the gun" moisture/particle trap, known in these parts as a "pumpkin",install the regulator and pumpkin at the gun. if you plan on spraying water based finishes order a larger needle and orifice. in my opinion short of a sata the best gravity feed on the market. remember........to much laquer causes dain-bramage<O</O
    Thanks, Todd. Impressive site too!
    Alan & Lynette Mikkelsen, Mountain View Farm Gardens & Fine Woodworking, St. Ignatius, MT. Visitors Welcome!

m1g

gail, to answer your question intelligently i`d need to know what materials you spray and what end result you`re hoping to achieve. i`ll attempt a broad answer........when i started spraying i looked at the finishes achieved by several different trades, most house painters use an airless set-up these units are pretty versatile in that you can spray tar if you so choose, but the finish using clear laquer wasn`t what i was after so i looked to the automotive industry who had mastered laquers decades ago the equipment wasn`t pricey when compared to the cost of a good airless but the full preasure guns put about half the finish in the air, this ongoing expense got me to looking at the turbine type hvlp set-ups. at the time there was nobody local here in po-dunk who stocked any to look at or try so that left me with magazine reviews. about that time several major paint gun manufacturers introduced "conversion" guns, well i`d had very good luck with the old model 7 gun by binks so i took a shot in the dark and purchased my first m1g. to this day i don`t regret that move at all, it`s been several years and several hundred gallons of laquer and it still works as good as the day i bought it. total maintainance costs so far are under 100$ for two rebuild kits (my fault both times!) if i where in your shoes and looking to spend close to a grand on paint equipment take an afternoon and go talk to a couple of local body shops then stop by the automotive paint supply houses and ask everybody their opinion before making a decision. you can get an m1g and a sharpe#7040 touch-up for about 500$ leaving yourself several hundred to up-grade your air system. hope this helps and sorry to everybody for stealing this thread! guess i`ll need to sign on and officially anounce my presence? tod
    Last edited by tod evans; 11-02-2005 at 3:47 PM.

hope this helps and sorry to everybody for stealing this thread! guess i`ll need to sign on and officially anounce my presence? tod
    I think most will agree that, no apology is necessary BUT, to gain the "full effect" of SMC, a seperate "Introduction" thread on the "General Woodworking..." forum would be ideal! Not everyone looks at the more "specialized" forums and I'm sure lots of folks would find your work and background of interest!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas