Thread: Electronic Question

Electronic Question

I have taken the advice of multiple Creekers and purchased the http://superpid.com/ router speed controller. It took the company over two weeks to ship the device and is now in transit from Australia. I am in the planning phase of the installation and might be interested in putting the module inside my cabinet and installing a secondary RPM readout. The card has a output pulse for computer controlled CNC machines or secondary tacho readout. In my case I just want to be able to read the RPM without looking into a cabinet.

Does anyone know of a device that performs this function? I've done some searches on Google and most returns I am getting are from automotive applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Stanton View Post
    ... The card has a output pulse for computer controlled CNC machines or secondary tacho readout.
    http://www.redlion.net/product/pax-l...git-rate-meter

They make good quality industrial equipment. I'm sure you can get cheaper for the intended purpose, but maybe not better...?

(Search 'rate meter' instead of 'rpm'.)

I have taken the advice of multiple Creekers and purchased the http://superpid.com/ router speed controller. It took the company over two weeks to ship the device and is now in transit from Australia. I am in the planning phase of the installation and might be interested in putting the module inside my cabinet and installing a secondary RPM readout. The card has a output pulse for computer controlled CNC machines or secondary tacho readout. In my case I just want to be able to read the RPM without looking into a cabinet.

Does anyone know of a device that performs this function? I've done some searches on Google and most returns I am getting are from automotive applications.
    Robert.

It may be as simple as contacting the manufacturer and asking them if they can supply a longer ribbon connector/cable for readout module( Display). It looks like the readout module is just piggybacked onto the mother board. You might actually be able to make it yourself, if you have that skillset.
    If not, what you're looking for is pretty easy to source, however, you do need to the type, and characteristics of that output pulse train.
    If it's just a simple square wave, it's pretty easy, but if you are outputting a pulse train in pulses per second and you need to know RPM, the device you need has to be programmable. It looks like a speed pickup is counting shaft rotation. Dixon Industries makes a ton of LCD bargraph displays, that are capable of performing this function. It may be that the display for a lathe, or CNC machine may already be compatible.

Yes, I do this kind of work for a living.

Will this speed controller work with a soft start router? Most of the models I've seen do not. You end up with two controllers fighting.( I see that you have to defeat the router speed controller, per their instructions.)
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 09-22-2017 at 9:23 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

The output pulse is a +5VDC square wave. 1 pulse per rotation. I've seen some schematics that show the required circuits required to accomplish my task but I am not patient enough to do bread board work right now. My table has been down for over a month. I think this may work... [ebay link removed, description substutited] DC 5V Frequency Motor Tachometer Rotate Speed Meter 100KHZ 0.56" DIGITAL Red LED
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 09-22-2017 at 8:22 PM. Reason: direct links to ebay not permitted on SMC

The output pulse is a +5VDC square wave. 1 pulse per rotation. I've seen some schematics that show the required circuits required to accomplish my task but I am not patient enough to do bread board work right now. My table has been down for over a month. I think this may work... http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-5V-Freque.../391892668847?
    It looks like it should work. If it's a 3-30vdc input ,then a nominal true/false logic gate level, 5vdc pulse, should be picked up. Kinda like old school TTL.
    Refresh rate is 3 times per second, so there might be a lag time of a few seconds in the display at higher rpm's.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Maybe try looking up cheap frequency counters on eBay from China.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I did some searching and nothing, hard part might be finding one with a 5 digit display. I would contact the company that made the controller, maybe they have a recommendation.

You can always get an old computer and put Mach 3 on it