Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: High CRI Workshop LEDs

If you have lower ceilings diffusers can be good for reducing glare and spreading light from harshly directional LED tubes.

What lights are those Martin? Man, you almost need roller skates for that shop! Looks great!

Not to hijack my own thread, but Martin. OMG that panel saw looks amazing. How big is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Not to hijack my own thread, but Martin. OMG that panel saw looks amazing. How big is it?
    62" of rip I think

Though you can cheat and get a bit more out of it for cross cut height if you don't have to go under the gantry. You run out of stops around 180" on cross cuts, but otherwise length is unlimited. I've only maxed out the length a could of times in the seven years I've had it.

Short of a cnc or beam saw, it's the only way to cut sheet stock in my opinion. It's been a serious money maker for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    What lights are those Martin? Man, you almost need roller skates for that shop! Looks great!
    These are the exact lights. Mine are the 24SE. I only know that because I just sent in my rebate on them. If I did my math right, I should be getting $4100 back from the power company.
    Last edited by Martin Wasner; 01-17-2018 at 7:13 PM.

I took your recommendation and converted 12 lights last week. Love these bulbs! The difference is night and day (sorry, could't resist.) Thanks for the reco.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bouis View Post
    My suggestion would be to retrofit T8 fixtures for the LED t8 replacement tubes. You can get 92 CRI "hyperikon" bulbs from Amazon that are very good -- highly efficient and quite cheap (~$10 each). Rewiring is pretty straightforward.

I replaced some T5HO fixtures with T8/LEDs recently and, for the same electricity useage you get 1.5x as much light. Very nice.

My wife is an artist. Santa brought her a 4 pack of those bulbs that he ordered from their web site. They made a pretty significant difference in her studio. She really likes them. It was easy to remove the ballasts and reconnect the wires for the new bulbs. I'd like to replace my shop bulbs, but I have 8 twin fixtures and I just replaced the ballasts in those (and bulbs to T8) a couple of years ago. Maybe Santa will bring ME some bulbs next year! Ha!

Are most of the LED replacement bulbs for existing fixtures T8 sized using a G13 socket? The Hyperikon LEDs on Amazon with the 90 CRI certainly is.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Leonard View Post
    My wife is an artist. Santa brought her a 4 pack of those bulbs that he ordered from their web site. They made a pretty significant difference in her studio. She really likes them. It was easy to remove the ballasts and reconnect the wires for the new bulbs. I'd like to replace my shop bulbs, but I have 8 twin fixtures and I just replaced the ballasts in those (and bulbs to T8) a couple of years ago. Maybe Santa will bring ME some bulbs next year! Ha!
    Try this place they have bulbs that can go either way. I ordered 8 footers and 4 footers to replace my shop and office tubes

https://greenlightdepot.com/collections/led-tube-lights

I'm going with the Hyperikon for my new shop build, does anyone have a recommendation on a fixture? I have to buy separately since the 93 CRI Hyperikon is only available as a tube.

I am in the middle of a 30'x30' shop build. Has anyone come up with any better solutions than the two proposed above? Is the Hyperikon bulbs the only high CRI 4ft bulbs available? Whats an affordable LED ready fixture cost? Can anyone share a link to one? I cant seem to find them.
    It is so frustrating trying to find high CRI led lights never mind a budget friendly solution for an entire shop. I am willing to settle for just my bench, assembly and finishing areas but that seems to still be a tall order. $126ea fixtures are just not an option for me. I can fill the remaining areas with the current Costco $20 LED shop fixtures. But the light is just not flattering to wood or comfortable to work under(maybe due to shadows in the harsh light). Then there is also photographing issues. I don't want to have to post process every update photo I send to a client because of the way the lighting makes thing look. Or have to caution them not to judge how things look in progress photos due to the lighting. Its bad enough that I have to wear +2.00 readers when working. So I would like to get the lighting correct.

James

Blog Entries
    The sad fact is that producing a high CFI LED fixture is expensive. If you fine one that's cheap it will either have very poor driver quality, or more probably, false CRI specs. A good option would be to use the cheap LED fixtures for general lighting and then have a high CRI fixture over the bench, where you can do the critical color work. Even the 80 CRI is fine for general machine work.

In my shop I used Philip's fluorescent 4 footers with 98 CRI, 5000K. To be there is a hug difference between 80 and 98 cri. I also chose fixtures with specular reflectors.

I am enjoying following this thread and reading the LED discussions.

Jeremy,
    That was my solution in my current shop. However I am tired of the bulbs blowing at random and the power consumption differance is a good reason to try to use led. That and with buying new fixtures I would like to try and future proof my purchase if possible. I imagine there will be some sort of tax (mercury tax?) or price increase in the near future for what will become a legacy bulb.

James

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James White View Post
    Jeremy,
    That was my solution in my current shop. However I am tired of the bulbs blowing at random and the power consumption differance is a good reason to try to use led. That and with buying new fixtures I would like to try and future proof my purchase if possible. I imagine there will be some sort of tax (mercury tax?) or price increase in the near future for what will become a legacy bulb.

James
    I've had Philips F32T8/TL950, probably the same that Jeremy has, for the last 15 years at least and have not lost a lamp or ballast yet. One of the keys to good fluorescent lamp life is good ballasts, so that may be an issue for you. The lumen output is definitely down a bit though. I'd have switched to LEDS by now, but 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' When they start to go, I'll be switching to LED.

I do have a couple of 4', high CRI LED fixtures over the 2 workbenches for better task lighting. They were close to $200 (Canadian) each though. When I refit the rest of the shop lighting, I may just go with the lower CRI lamps to save some bucks.