Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: High CRI Workshop LEDs

Blog Entries
    If you want really high CRI & don't have an objection to fluorescent, Philips F32T8/TL950 have a CRI of 98. I've had them in my shop for 15+ years & haven't replaced one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    If you want really high CRI & don't have an objection to fluorescent, Philips F32T8/TL950 have a CRI of 98. I've had them in my shop for 15+ years & haven't replaced one yet.
    98 CRI Fluorescents????!!!!???? I had no idea. Most of the ones I've seen are around 80 at best.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I bought my lights directly from China through alibaba. I don’t know what the CRI was but they are 6000K lights and I have enough for the 100+ foot candles at bench height mentioned earlier. Very bright and it’s like daylight in the shop.

4100K color temp for me...my shop feels like the beach on a sunny day, at least from a light level perspective.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I've been spending tons of time looking for high CRI (>90, hopefully 93-95) LED bulbs / fixtures for my workshop build.

I'm having a real tough time finding LED tube fixtures with high CRIs (looking for 4000-4100K fixtures).

I can find Edison base bulbs or floods with high CRIs, but linear lights (which I think would create far less shadows in a workshop) seem difficult to find.

Any suggestions?
    Just out of curiosity why do you need a CRI in excess of 90? Or is it just something you want?

I guess I should have known what CRI was. But I didn’t until I Googled it.
    Why can’t the writer at least spell it out once and then use an abbreviation? Ed
    COLOR RENDERING INDEX (CRI)

These bulbs get good reviews:
    https://www.amazon.com/Hyperikon-Dua...I%2B90%2B&th=1
    Unfortunately the Hyperikon T8 style are high CRI, but their shop light kits only come with low-80's. So you could by empty LED-ready strip lights and put the bulbs in, but probably a little extra cost.
    You can also by direct from Hyperikon, and on their website they have "make an offer" on their bulb packs.

https://www.soraa.com/products/ambientluminaires

I have a kitchen full of par30 short Soraa Vivid 3000k bulbs that are amazing, you cannot tell the difference between them and a Halogen par30S.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crawford View Post
    These bulbs get good reviews: https://www.amazon.com/Hyperikon-Dua...I%2B90%2B&th=1 Unfortunately the Hyperikon T8 style are high CRI, but their shop light kits only come with low-80's. So you could by empty LED-ready strip lights and put the bulbs in, but probably a little extra cost. You can also by direct from Hyperikon, and on their website they have "make an offer" on their bulb packs.
    That is what I just did, the ones I wanted were cheaper on their website than on amazon and while they did not accept my offer they knocked 7% off which I took.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lindsey View Post
    Just out of curiosity why do you need a CRI in excess of 90? Or is it just something you want?
    Not need.... Want. Since I'm getting new fixtures, and have hated some LEDs with low CRIs (and loved a number with high CRIs), I
    just wanted to start with good ones.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Edwards View Post
    I guess I should have known what CRI was. But I didn’t until I Googled it.
    Why can’t the writer at least spell it out once and then use an abbreviation? Ed
    COLOR RENDERING INDEX (CRI)
    Point taken, but it's too late to edit the original post.

Blog Entries
    I just recently posted that I put up new shop lighting. The glass globes allow light to bounce off the ceiling and diffuse, very much minimizing any shadows. The standard bulbs give me lots of options versus a fluorescent format.

Reposting pics here showing lights and shadow with hand about 6" off bench.

IMG_2831.jpgIMG_2832.jpg

I dunno. A strip light on every other joist would give you about 50x as much light and no shadows.

If cost is not a barrier then see link below

https://www.seriousreaders.com/

https://www.seriousreaders.com/compare-the-lights

probably too expensive for workshop but an interesting product if you want a high quality product

Talk to an electrician tell them what you want, they pass the information off to their wholesaler who will find a light and a correct layout.

I think mine are 4100k, no idea on a color rendering index number. I did high bays, there's basically no shadows in my shop.

You do not want light going up, it's a waste.

If you want covers or diffusers on the lights, you don't have enough lights.