Thread: Newing-Hall machine needs service

Newing-Hall machine needs service

Hey, all - I am in Reno, Nevada and have an old Newing-Hall NH 400 that I still occasionally need for engraving brass plates and the backs of metal medals, etc.
    Anyway - we've been fining it for years but as of today - the X-Axis wont move (neither in 'flat' or 'cylinder' mode). It's def beyond my pay grade.
    Does anyone know of anyone on the west coast (pref. Northern California) who works on them????

nh-400.jpg

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!

I would call Newing Hall tech support. Unless you are the original owner there will be a charge but they are very good and can save you some time and money in the long run.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Do you feel brave. Since both the Table and Cylindrical are not work we can initially eliminate the cables and motors to the x-axis.......

1. With the power off I need you to remove the 5 screws that hold the controller cover ... 2 on each side..1 top center back......... Pull straight forward the cover will come off. Pic #1.

2. Now turn on the Power and turn the drives "ON" and pull down/forward on the control panel.... See if green LED lights are "on" at the two lower cards in the right holder.. The X-Axis is the upper board... and the lower is the Y-Axis.. Pic #2

3. If the upper is not on. Power off and pull the card. You will need to remove a small screw to the left of the card... The flange keeps the cards from working loose.. Just twist flange clockwise out of the way. Now remove and reinsert 2-3 times to clean the pins and socket. Install card and "Power on/Drives on" did the LED light Up? is so push the directional movement buttons on the panel to see if you now have table axis.......

4. YES ... Problem solved?

5. NO... Power down and pull both cards and switch there positions ( both cards are the same design so switching them will not hurt the machine) ... Power back up and see if the LEDs are on. Yes... Test Movement, IT WORKS .

6A. NO the lower card is not working.........The card is bad.

6B. NO the Upper is not working. Call Newing Hall. You will need to have them assist but most likely you will need to send controller in for repair.....

Hope this helps..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

You guys are so nice to offer help - sorry I am on deadline with my largest order of the year . . . Luckily nothing they need requires non-laser engraving!!

Your instructions are MUCH MUCH appreciated - I'm such a girl but I will give your post to my most electrician-y friend!!!

I will let you know what happens! Thanks again.

I'll try that -The original 8-pin plug melted down about a year ago but we were able to patch in some wiring and get it working again . . .
    It was doing the same thing when that happened - if you pushed the button to move the spindle left it would go to the right - then the same friend tried to re-wire it again and now it moves neither left or right.
    Sigh. Good times. I'll post when something changes! Have a great weekend, all y'all!

Appears you are describing problems ranging from key pad buttons not making good contact to wires, sockets and plugs broken or burnt. The pins and sockets need to have good fitting contact or arcing will occur allowing for heat build-up and melting of pins/sockets (M & F) If the Cards are good and the controller is working correctly the key pads are easy to replace in less than a minute. the cables and sockets are US made so fairy easy to purchases at Radio Shack type stores.....

Attached Images Attached Images
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)

Hey Mark - I finally got the nerve to try your solutions - but mine is a little different that yours - I don't seem to have LEDs on the cards - see pics!
    IMG_3022.jpg
    IMG_3024.jpg
    I don't want to go yanking stuff out at random - do you see where the cards are?
    Thanks so much, Erica

Your card just have a cover over the top of the card. With power off Just pull the two lower cards and switch them. Then reboot and see if the x works and the y does not. If so it is the card, it's bad. The X axis has the yellow dot.
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Ok I was scared to pull on them too hard - they both felt like they were catching on something but I got them out and swapped them, same result. Y axis will operate (moves forward and backward) but not left to right.

Over the years we have had trouble with the wiring to the X-axis motor and had to re-rig it a few times.

First meltdown (since I've had it):
    15689837758_7b858fce05_k.jpg

Some of the 8 pins got fried so a friend rigged it back together with 6:
    IMG_3057.jpg

And it worked for a couple more years . . .

So today I googled the model number on the motor and it turns out it's not a proprietary Newing-Hall motor - it was made by Pacific Scientific who was bought out not long ago by Kollmorgen who apparently STILL manufactures this POWERMAX II® M and P series motors. In fact, you can find them on Amazon or eBay for under $100.00 used. Sheesh. Wish I hadn't put it off so long.

I will let ya know what happens next!

Thanks again, Mark! ~Erica in Reno

Glad you are working to get the machine up and running again. Keep us involved on your success.

Mark
    In the Great Northwest!