Thread: A Word of Praise for Jay @ Jorlink!

A Word of Praise for Jay @ Jorlink!

Hello

This is something I've intended to do for some time because I would NOT have the wonderful laser I use today if not for the dedicated help and expertise of Jay Spencer at Jorlink in North Carolina - helpful doesn't begin to describe our great experience with Jay!

In January 2005 we purchased a used GCC 35 Watt Explorer online (built late 02), sight unseen from an office equipment wholesaler in California. The machine was represented as powering-up, initializing, basically fine with the exception of needing a table levelling. Well, me being the ever-optimistic person am, I thought, I can deal with a table levelling and took a chance!

A few weeks later, the freight company delivers the Explorer on a Friday in February and I cannot wait to open the box...I was excited and not because it was SuperBowl (ooops, that's 'the Big Game') weekend! The excitement soon turned to a sinking horror as I opened the crate to find what many would consider a 'parts machine'! There were loose wires, missing access panel covers, rattling hardware and those were just the 'obvious' problems! Needless to say, it did NOT power up or initialize!

After my initial panic at buying an un-warranted parts machine, I was led to the wonderful Jorlink company in N. Carolina and in particular, Mr. Jay Spencer. Step-by-step over the course of about 3 months, and literally dozens of emails, digitals photos, many hours on the phone, ordering parts, more hours on the phone installing the parts, Jay routinely calling GCC techs in California (maybe even Taiwan)...with non-stop thrills of replacing 2 stepper motors, new motherboard (false alarm), new table screws (that were bent, how could anybody do that???), new hood sensors, new alignment mirrors, new belts etc. etc. etc. and presto...we had a working 35 Watt laser! This whole process almost seemed like one of those 'Popular Mechanics' build-your-own projects that went on for 3 months! And believe it or not, this 6 foot long monster, the size of a small car, was in my living room the whole time!!!

I can now almost smile about the experience, but I truthfully don't know how I could have ever re-assembled this 'mystery machine' without Jay and his relentless help. We may never know just what happened to the Explorer between Spring '03 and when I bought it during the first months of '05, but I now have a great-working machine and will always know that Jay Spencer at Jorlink is THE person to call or recommend to EVERYONE needing dedicated and honest help or advice with ANYTHING laser-related!

Regards, JB
    Last edited by JB Lynn; 10-31-2005 at 11:01 AM.

Thumbs up

Wow, so glad you managed to overcome all of those problems, cannot imagine just how disappointed you must have been. You have managed to overcome a huge problem, but on the plus side, you probably know how every little bit works!

Well done

Just out of curiousity: how much did the whole thing end up costing?

Hi Lee:

That's a good question! It's really hard to put a 'final price' on the machine considering I have several hundred hours of my own time in elbow grease. However, we are VERY fortunate the seller did compensate us for just about all of the over $3,200 in parts the machine needed!

It is also worth mentioning, even though there was much frustration caused by unknowingly buying a machine in this state of disassembly, we do believe the seller made an innocent mistake of simply not understanding lasers!

So, to guestimate, I say the total cost of the machine (our purchase price + our re-building labour) works out to be somewhat less than 50% of current MSRP, a price point we feel pretty comfortable with

Regards, JB