Thread: Shaper Cutter needed

Shaper Cutter needed

To All

I am building a set of kitchen cabinets, and the doors will be done in an Arts and Crafts/ Greene & Greene, cloud lift motif.
    Each door, based on size, will have the cabinet face broken into two or three separate panels divided by verticals( I don't know if a vertical piece of wood in the center of the panel is technically called a "stile"?) The actual rails and stiles will be 7/8" thick, and these center"stiles" will be 3/4" thick. The panels will be 5/16" thick. Basically, there are three levels to the door face, all softened with radius(s) to put cloud lifts, inside of cloud lifts. If I need to go with 1" thick rails and stiles to accommodate and existing cutters set, that's doable. 3/4", or 4/4 finished rails and stiles is not doable.

The cutter set I am looking for is actually very simple. I need a basic tongue and groove set, with a 3/16" radius on top, and I need the tongue to not be centered. Ideally it would be 1/8" inset from the back of the cabinet, and I would prefer it be deeper than 3/8". I have looked at every "Mission Style" and "Arts and Crafts" style sets on the internet, and can't find anything that gives me the flexibility I need. If there is a place I can have the set made, that would be helpful also. Oh, and the rail pieces also feature a cloud lift, so the set will need accommodate a bushing/bearing for template work

I have made the first "test" door using a standard T&G set and a router with a 3/16" round over bit, but that leaves a "unique" joint where the rails meet the stiles. It's also pretty tedious to make the rails and stiles fit tightly "manually".

I am also looking at concealed hinges for and inset door that might work. If you know of any, let me know.

Thank you in advance

Mike
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Vertical middle stile(s) is a mullion.

W. Moore in NC.

Hi Mike,

I would sure like to see a pic of that first 'test' door. It sounds really interesting, but I just cannot picture it in my head.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Freeborn also makes custom cutters
    -Lud