Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beware Danish Oil in Plastic Jugs!

Beware Danish Oil in Plastic Jugs!

I purchased a gallon of Danish Oil [General Finishes] from a fellow woodturner back in March, and he buys in bulk sizes.[5 gallon] He sold me the gallon and he had put it into a plastic orange juice jug he had on hand. Well, I had it sitting on my large 18" Jet bandsaw at the edge of the table, and my 16 gallon industrial shop vac was sitting on the floor beside my bandsaw.

Overnight, the jug developed a crack near the bottom, and the oil leaked out all over my saw, my shopvac, and ruined a Bionic faceshield. At least the shopvac still runs, and I used some mineral spirits to clean off the motor and switches, and blew them out well with compressed air. I still am going to have to clean the bottom door and frame of the saw, and get a new Bionic shield.....bummer!

I guess there must be a reason why the companies put Danish oil into metal cans when they are going to be on the shelves in stores for some months, huh? That stuff is about $50 per gallon, and I saved only less than a pint! Not to mention all the mess on my wooden shop floor, which is now nice and slick!

Just trying to be helpful to others who may have some in plastic containers.........must be a bit corrosive to plastic, I think. Not the way to start one's morning, for sure, but glad I found it before it had totally ran out, and hardened all over the shop vac!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I wonder if the jug had a crack in it to begin with... Beverage containers are usually made from a chemical resistant plastic. The times I have had solvent compromise plastic, it usually results in bubbling or swelling or softening of the plastic as the solvent solubilizes into the plastic. If it swells enough, it will of course crack, but I am curious if your OJ jug was otherwise in tact besides the crack.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I wonder if the jug had a crack in it to begin with... Beverage containers are usually made from a chemical resistant plastic. The times I have had solvent compromise plastic, it usually results in bubbling or swelling or softening of the plastic as the solvent solubilizes into the plastic. If it swells enough, it will of course crack, but I am curious if your OJ jug was otherwise in tact besides the crack.
    It was intact, indeed, Prashun. The temps here overnight got down to 46 degrees, and I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not, but it just developed a thin place about an inch round, and cracked in the middle of that......I have moved that jug around numerous times, and never noticed anything amiss about it.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

There is something about those milk, water, tea, OJ jugs. They work for what they are intended but not for another purpose. I have had 2 jugs of anchor seal beak and leak the contents. The first I didn't think much about, probably bad jug. But a tear or two later the second jug did the dame thing. Now I put the anchor seal I a heavier container.

Over the years I have had several instances of otherwise healthy plastic containers develop holes without provocation.

- Just yesterday I found a jug of distilled water had been slowly soaking into the concrete floor. The hole was so small I couldn't find it and the leak was so slow it mostly soaked into the concrete rather than making a puddle. A waste of good distilled water but not a big expense.

- I had a gallon of 1% iodine solution (Betaiyne) develop a slow leak and make a mess. I put the jug in a bucket and eventually the rest drained out. This was in the original jug from the manufacturer. I bought a replacement gallon this week - $33. Ouch.

- A plastic jug of hydraulic fluid added a rich, dark color to a section of the wooden floor of one of my sheds.

- A 2.5 gallon container of sugar syrup for feeding the bees developed a pinhole in the bottom while sitting on concrete. A sticky mess.

- The worst one was a hole that magically appeared in an 8 oz bottle of CA glue in my garage fridge. A solidified mess.

On the other hand I've decantered Watco Oil into the same plastic squeeze bottle for over 10 years now, for use at the lathe. No problem yet, but the plastic on this is probably thicker than your juice jug. I do have a gallon of nitric acid in a plastic jug that I would hate to have leak inside any building. I keep it outside on a gravel bed protected from UV and accidental damage by a sturdy bucket.

JKJ

The use of glass or steel is the answer for storing these products, a glass gallon apple juice or other is good for larger quantities, and re-closable bottle for smaller or unstable or polymerizing products is another one.

The reason I part my Polymerizing Tung Oil into a couple of Grolsch re-closable beer bottles, have for years already and have never had a problems with that.

re-closable glass bottle.jpg
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    The use of glass or steel is the answer for storing these products, a glass gallon apple juice or other is good for larger quantities, and re-closable bottle for smaller or unstable or polymerizing products is another one.

The reason I part my Polymerizing Tung Oil into a couple of Grolsch re-closable beer bottles, have for years already and have never had a problems with that.

re-closable glass bottle.jpg

Leo - yet another way to combine my favorite hobbies (woodworking and brewing).

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    Leo - yet another way to combine my favorite hobbies (woodworking and brewing).
    Use caution and protect glass containers containing hazardous liquids. Someone knocked over a pint of unprotected formaldehyde on the floor behind my shop door and broke the glass bottle. It took me two days to clean up, neutralize the chemical, and ventilate the shop before I could work in it again. I'm glad I keep protective clothing and full-face respirators with organic filter cartridges on hand.

On the other hand, breaking the bottle of one of my vanilla extract batches (pure ethyl alcohol, water, and vanilla beans) in the shop would probably be more pleasant.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Use caution and protect glass containers containing hazardous liquids. Someone knocked over a pint of unprotected formaldehyde on the floor behind my shop door and broke the glass bottle. It took me two days to clean up, neutralize the chemical, and ventilate the shop before I could work in it again. I'm glad I keep protective clothing and full-face respirators with organic filter cartridges on hand.

On the other hand, breaking the bottle of one of my vanilla extract batches (pure ethyl alcohol, water, and vanilla beans) in the shop would probably be more pleasant.

JKJ
    The Battery acid we would get came in glass demijohns, and yes you would take care that these did not get damaged and were kept in a safe place.

There are things that can be hazardous if not handled properly, just part of it,

my Tung oil is not set on the edge of the bench or power tool tops, where it can easily knocked onto the floor, it is stored in a metal cabinet, taken out to dispence some oil and then placed back.
    Have fun and take care

There are many kinds and qualities of metal, wood and plastic in this complicated world. I have kept Lacquer and thinnner in heavy plastic Arizona tea jugs for years--after testing! It eats some plastics alive! Any reactive finish like oils may not be cool in clear glass??

Roger, lots of liquids affect plastics, we all have had similar experiences. Also don't forget that cotton rags used with Danish Oil can spontaneously combust. Throw them in water or hang on a line away from your shop to dry.
    Rgds,
    Richard.

In the last couple of years, I have had two cans of Zinssers shellac leak in the bottom rim seal. One of those was in my paint/finish cabinet. I noticed it when I saw the still liquid shellac on the floor. It had emptied, making a mess in the cabinet and on about 10 sq feet on the concrete floor. Thankfully, there was no real "cleanup" involved as I just opened the cabinet, moved anything sitting in the shellac and let it all dry. I used a rag and spread the shellac on the floor - makes a pretty good concrete finish!

The second one was recently and I noticed it started leaking apparently from the outset while I was using it. I contacted Rustoleum, the parent company, and they said the lot number indicated it was over three years old and that was the shelf life. It was a "new" can to me. Nonetheless, they handled it appropriately and sent me a check for replacement.

The takeaway is that any container is subject to fail and one should never store or place them where collateral damage could occur.

Left click my name for homepage link.

I have had a shellac can leak. It was caused by a mfg defect in making the can where they damaged the coating on the inside bottom. Any deep scratch on the coating can start corrosion. The can was replaced and they provided alcohol to help clean up the mess.

I had a gallon of good lac. get turned over??? while on vacation. Made an ugly rough finish unlike John's, on my wood floor. Never sweep the shavings in that corner somehow?

Beware of oil finishes and lathe curls also--most of us have plenty of those. My best friend found a roaring fire in his shop under his new 24" one way lathe. When chastised he replied--you told me about rags and oil but never mentioned sawdust--go figure. Born north of I-10 I think.