Thread: Etching Galvanized Steel

Etching Galvanized Steel

Not sure if i'm posting this in the right section or if this topic has already been covered as I could not find it in the search.

But my question is about etching Galvanized Steel sheets. They are those thin sheets only about 8"x12" that you can find at Home Depot. Same thickness as ducts.

I am using an Epilog Legend EXT 75watt CO2 and also an Epilog Fusion M2 Fiber Laser 50watts

1. I plan on etching on both. With the Legend I will use Cermark on the Galvanize Steel and on the Fusion I will just etch it bare. However I'm worried about fumes. I know it is bad and hazardous to burn galvanized steel becuase of the zinc coating. But is it safe to laser etch it whether it be CO2 or Fiber lasers? Both of my engravers are in a small trailer but each have their own exhaust blower hooked up from underneath the trailer with the exhaust tube outside.
    2. So if it is safe, has anyone had any experience doing this? If so, are there any settings you can recommend for either CO2 or Fiber or both engravers? For fiber I just want the darkest and deepest etch I can get. For the CO2 just want the darkest etch.

thanks.
    Epilog Fusion M2 40 75W CO2 / 50W Fiber
    Epilog Legend 36EXT 75W CO2

Cermark will not adhere to galvanized steel. I also doubt that you can achieve a permanent finish with the fiber machine but it's worth a try. I don't think I'd be too worried about fumes.

Back when I was in high school I worked for a company which did service work for foundries and metallurgical plants. One of them had a tank of molten zinc for the purpose of galvanizing water tanks (sold with water pumps). We had to service pyrometers in that room and we never had any issues with fumes. Fresh air was available in the room but the tank was easily 12' x 20' with 4 or 5 feet of depth.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

interesting- I just put a galvanized anchor on my fiber, lower freq's barely marked it, 80 freq showed up a little better. Upon scotchbrighting I found the lower freq mark basically didn't happen, but the 80 freq mark actually did remove the galvanize and >lightly< etched the metal, which means that part will now likely start to rust...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Cermark will not adhere to galvanized steel. I also doubt that you can achieve a permanent finish with the fiber machine but it's worth a try. I don't think I'd be too worried about fumes.

Back when I was in high school I worked for a company which did service work for foundries and metallurgical plants. One of them had a tank of molten zinc for the purpose of galvanizing water tanks (sold with water pumps). We had to service pyrometers in that room and we never had any issues with fumes. Fresh air was available in the room but the tank was easily 12' x 20' with 4 or 5 feet of depth.
    Thanks Mike. That's good info to know bout the fumes. I'll still wear a respirator mask just in case. I'll be marking it with about 10 passes, so hopefully I'll mark something.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    interesting- I just put a galvanized anchor on my fiber, lower freq's barely marked it, 80 freq showed up a little better. Upon scotchbrighting I found the lower freq mark basically didn't happen, but the 80 freq mark actually did remove the galvanize and >lightly< etched the metal, which means that part will now likely start to rust...
    Thanks Kev. I know for stainless steel I use 40s / 100p / 5Freq. And that makes a good mark. My plan was to use the same settings on the galvanized steel and do multiple passes.
    Epilog Fusion M2 40 75W CO2 / 50W Fiber
    Epilog Legend 36EXT 75W CO2

Blog Entries
    I used a piece of round duct (fitting actually to check what an angled mark would look like that was aluminum and I didn't have test part). I used frost white settings for aluminum and it barely made a mark on the galvanized part. Just a shadow. Enough for my purpose, but not very satisfactory. I didn't test further, but I think it will be poor mark when compared to plain steel.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I know that welding galvanized metal gives off dangerous fumes.