Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vacuum pump?

Hospitals are a good source for vacuum pumps, it where I got mine.

On my suggestion, a buddy added a larger (30 gallon) surplus tank to his vacuum to reduce the cycling. It works great. I cautioned that the vacuum in the tank might make vacuum pump startup difficult (my system has a bleed tank/valve to avoid that issue). I have been told it is not an issue. I bring it up because I'd assume a vacuum tank would be a natural addition to a venturi system to keep the compressor from running?
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    On my suggestion, a buddy added a larger (30 gallon) surplus tank to his vacuum to reduce the cycling. It works great. I cautioned that the vacuum in the tank might make vacuum pump startup difficult (my system has a bleed tank/valve to avoid that issue). I have been told it is not an issue. I bring it up because I'd assume a vacuum tank would be a natural addition to a venturi system to keep the compressor from running?
    The OP wanted a vacuum pump for infusion. I mentioned this before, but again: local turner John Tarpley brought his infusion system to the club for a demo and used a venturi generator. He said that compressor does not need to run continuously. It runs until it pull the proper vacuum on the infusion chamber then the valve is closed to hold the vacuum and the pump is turned off. The infusion time can be significant but the vacuum is not needed the whole time.

JKJ

Yes, went back to the original post and he did say "to infuse wood." I'm not familiar with those systems (probably should be) but have seen the pots and suspect they leak very little. If one already has a compressor, a venturi is likely a very simple and inexpensive way to generate the vacuum needed.

When I see the words infuse or infusion I always think vacuum film on a boat hull to infuse a composite with resin, and in my experience, unlike vacuum bags, those are miserably difficult to stop the vacuum leaking.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Lasse - this pump sells i Norway for NOK 600.... https://www.jula.no/catalog/verktoy-...iAAEgKkOvD_BwE
    you should be able to find this in Denmark,too. I'va also seen pumps intended for evacuation heat pumps that were quite cheap...

If you have the patience and time, a brake bleeder vacuum pump will do the job. I think the one I have cost $15 a few years ago, it is hand operated, I had a gauge, never did get it to 100% or close but it worked for a dye experiment I wanted to try. Use the smallest container that will work, sucking out the air with a hand pump gives a new meaning to suck.

I used glass jars, I had lids with connections set up for pint, quart and gallon sized jars. The glass is safe, it won't explode. If you could reduce the air enough it could implode on itself, but it never happened to me. With a hand pump, I don't think that would ever happen. I tried using new paint cans, they worked, but I needed to see what was happening so I knew when to stop the vacuum. I could also watch what amount of the dye was being infused into the wood. Use Ball canning jars, not the recycled old mayo jars, the Ball are stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Halgeir Wold View Post
    Lasse - this pump sells i Norway for NOK 600.... https://www.jula.no/catalog/verktoy-...iAAEgKkOvD_BwE
    you should be able to find this in Denmark,too. I'va also seen pumps intended for evacuation heat pumps that were quite cheap...
    I see the product is out of production. I can find a similar product in Denmark but at the original price :-(
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

8. I use this one.
    https://www.infinitytools.com/ventur...CABEgI4yfD_BwE
    i use it it for my Festool vac clamp instead of the Festool pump but I hear it works well for your use too. I do have a large air compressor though.