Thread: Woodfast 32" swing

Woodfast 32" swing

Hi guys. Have a chance to grab one of these guys pretty cheap. It's 3 phase but has a VFD w it. I have a new 3520b. But like the look of this woodfast lathe, especially for the price. Can anyone tell me anything about it. Thanks. Sam

Sam, do you have any pictures of what your talking about? And it's hard to give you an opinion on price, when you don't mention the price in your posting.
    Len

The price is very cheap. 500 bucks. It's essentially a new looking lathe. I already have 2 lathes but have a hard time turning down a great bargain. All I'm asking for is does anyone know anything about these lathes. The brand.

If you have the $500 to spare, the question you should be asking is where in your shop you should put it?
    (IMHO)
    Change One Thing

I have the space and money. But can anyone tell me about this lathe. Is it a quality piece.

My first big lathe was a woodfast imported from australia and sold by craft supplies. had a variable speed drive with step pulleys. loved the lathe. if memory serves it was the model 500 or long bed version with either a 16 or 20 inch swing. Been so long ago i just don't remeber what the swing was but never the less.
    Never had a bit of problem with it.
    They were the cadillac of lathes when they first came out, IMO. Ran smooth and did all I needed it to do at the time. Limited however by its weight and lack of versatility compared to the lathes on the market today.
    Never heard of woodfast ever producing a 32 inch swing lathe tho. I beleive the model 500 had a 32 0r 36 inch bed length, but going only on memory.

the newer woodfast lathes are now being built by Rikon
    Were it I, $500 bucks is a bargain. Great starter lathe for someone. Would confirm the swing tho.

i stand corrected NOT model 500 but MODEL 908 16 INCH SWING 36 INCH BED

The Woodfast lathes are generally well thought of, but as you know, you need to confirm the operating condition of this particular lathe.

Left click my name for homepage link.