Thread: Nova outboard tool rest for 1624-44

Nova outboard tool rest for 1624-44

Hello Guys, is the 300.00 price for tool rest outrigger worth this attachment for my 1624? Should I just diy one? Thanks. Roger

I had one for my old Delta lathe and only used it once. I would say that $300 is way overpriced.
    Bill

It all depends if you are going to use it enough to get your $300 worth. I have one on my DVR and only use it to hold the rolled up cord, have never used it for turning. But if it is your only lathe and you want to do bigger stuff it may very well be worth it seeing what a new lathe costs.

I had one for my NOva 3000. It worked but tended to induce chatter. I made an all-thread stabilizing pole that ran from the tool rest down to the floor. That kept it from vibrating but my floor wasn't level so every time I had to move the tool rest I had to readjust the stabilizing column. It did let me turn some very large platters that I couldn't have done otherwise.

I had one for quite a few years and finally sold it for a $100 loss because I never used it except to hold the knockout rod.
    That said....
    If I were to do it again I would buy the bed extension (about $235) and make up a base like this fellow for his DVR at about minute 4. Just showing the rest; I don't necessarily approve of all techniques.
    You could transfer your banjo to it when needed and have a 20" length to move the entire banjo along. If mounted with angle iron brackets it could be easily moved to the lathe if you ever wanted to turn table legs.
    Sorta two-for-one.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydDQQQww1AA
    Last edited by Michael Mills; 07-29-2018 at 9:27 AM.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mills View Post
    I had one for quite a few years and finally sold it for a $100 loss because I never used it except to hold the knockout rod.
    That said....
    If I were to do it again I would buy the bed extension (about $235) and make up a base like this fellow for his DVR at about minute 4. Just showing the rest; I don't necessarily approve of all techniques.
    You could transfer your banjo to it when needed and have a 20" length to move the entire banjo along. If mounted with angle iron brackets it could be easily moved to the lathe if you ever wanted to turn table legs.
    Sorta two-for-one.
    That was interesting to watch wonder how much stress is put on the lathe with that massive spindle and that guy must have balls of steel. Using 2 bed extensions to make a larger swing is an interesting concept though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Blasic View Post
    It all depends if you are going to use it enough to get your $300 worth. I have one on my DVR and only use it to hold the rolled up cord, have never used it for turning. But if it is your only lathe and you want to do bigger stuff it may very well be worth it seeing what a new lathe costs.
    Basically my story also, although I've used it a couple times it turns out I probably should not have spent the money
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

I'm sure I remember seeing a homemade outboard rest here, but now I can't find it. Standard black pipe and elbows were used. I had thoughts of making one but never did.

Don't know where you are located, but Craigs List shows one for $200.00 in my area.

I bought one early on for my 1624, and have only used it a couple of times. I'd take that money and put it toward the DVR upgrade, if you haven't done so yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mills View Post
    That said....
    Sorta two-for-one.

This looks like a much better use of funds. More versatile too!
    RD

Use of the outrigger turning attachment is reasonable, but I agree with others who have mentioned you may be better off organising something else to do the job. That clip with the use of the bed extension is certainly a good idea, one I would think about doing instead of using the outrigger attachment I have.

Attached are some pictures showing the maximum you can do with the outrigger being used. The lathe is remarkably stable when turning off balanced blanks and with the head in the longitudinal plane, compared to a smaller off balanced blank with the head in the normal position that is.

Mick.

Outrigger_003.jpg Outrigger_001.jpg Outrigger_002.jpg Outrigger_004.jpg

Thanks for the advice. I took it. Just used one inch water pipe and eighty pounds of cement in a bucket. Welded a nut over a hole and bent a bolt for tighning handle. Used the money to buy a Nova Titian three chuck. It is a monster. Thanks so much. Good bunch of people. Roger.