Thread: Beads of Courage box for Jack

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Beads of Courage box for Jack

A while back I made a BOC box with "Beads of Courage" chip carved around a layer of basswood sandwiched between layers of cherry. At the time I offered to custom make one with a child's name carved into it if the local children's hospital BOC coordinator (Drue Hogland) could identify a candidate. A couple of weeks ago they gave me a name - Jack will get this tomorrow.

Cherry and Basswood.

This is the one I did before. I didn't look at the photos when drawing out the new one but it sure ended up almost the same. I might be stuck in a rut. (but there are probably worse ruts to be stuck in!)

BOC_A_comp.jpg

BTW, I like to make the lids with a significant taper so they can be more easily removed and replaced by small or weak hands. This makes them loose but not sloppy. These have an internal taper on the lid but it works as well the other way too.

BTW2, Since finding a block of dry wood big enough to make these is difficult I like to use a modified method that Harvey Meyer shows in his 3-video set on YouTube, modified to use more than two layers. This makes the hollowing of hard, dry wood MUCH easier. I have a handout I did for a demo if anyone is interested.

BTW3, for anyone not familiar with the Beads of Courage program, it's an incredible program. This might be good to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMCcJxO9mnY Woodturners (and flatworkers) all over the country are making many hundreds of these, often coordinated by local AAW chapters. There are so many seriously ill children that the need for these probably won't go away.

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 10-23-2017 at 10:56 PM. Reason: typos