Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sudden Y axis problem

I would check to make sure your software/driver configuration settings are correct first. If so, inspect movement of the gantry and the optical path to ensure everything is tight and functioning properly. With the power off, you should be able to move the laser head freely across the bed. As mentioned, don't force anything and do so slowly. Then check connections from the controller to the Y stepper, both physically and with a multimeter. After these are eliminated, you might try swapping the X and Y steppers to determine if the motor is shot.

The mechanical side of things seems to be unaffected by the problem. motors work OK and gantries move freely. I'm beginning to think it's software related, possible the motion driver card, MPC6515.

I have noticed another symptom. if the head is moved towards the front of the bed, Y axis, where it stops becomes the new datum. The X axis is not effected.

I’ve fixed it!!! It turned out to be one of the dip switches on the Y Driver board had set itself to the down position instead of up. I never even gave it a thought as I’ve never touched anything inside the cutter.

Many thanks to you all for spending the time on my problem.

ghost in the machine
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I wish my solution was as simple... The Y asix moves erratically, as if it is resisiting impulses to move. (ULS M300)
    The stepper is fine. I swapped it out- no difference.
    The wires to the stepper are fine. I swapped them out- no differemce.
    There is no drive card or board- it comes off a single motherboard with everything on it.
    There's no clear software fix or cause I can find, suggesting it may be somehow electronic, in the motherboard...

Last time it did this, unplugging & replugging everythng fixed it for 6 weeks, then a second ditto, make it last 3 weeks, then back to its tricks.
    Now, the undo it and do it up again makes no difference.
    Best wishes,
    Ian

ULS M-300, 55w made 2002 with rotary. Goldenlaser 130 watt, 1300x700 made 2011.
    Flat bed 2500x1300 150/90watt 2 tube laser, 2018 model.
    Esab router, 1989, 4.5 x 2.0 m, conv. to Tekcel, and modded a 2nd time.
    HP L260-60". Roland PNC-1410. Mimaki GC-130 SU.
    Screenprinting carousel 6x4 and 7x4 ft 1-arm bandit vac table.
    Corel Draw X3, Illy, Indesign & Photoshop CS2 & CS5, Enroute 4
    Pencil, paper, paintbrush, airbrush & dagger-liners & assorted other stuff.

I wish I could help. Good luck!

Ian, have you checked power supply output voltages? Cleaning the connections could have been a temporary bandaid to help with a low voltage situation. Bad connections can cause a low-volt issue, had that happen with the GCC, cleaning all the connectors fixed it right up. (all my volt outputs were fine)...

You also have a display with no text, same machine? That was the first thing to go when my connection problem cropped up... I'm thinking bad power supply maybe...
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 09-10-2017 at 1:14 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Thanks, Kev- that's a good point- checking the voltages- but I'd thinking potentially dirty terminals sound more like it.
    I'll check it next time it plays up.
    For right now, it's suddenly OK again.

The power supply on the newer VLS-400 is brand new, so I'll have that as a spare- if they're compatible- but in the case of the ULS M-300, the power to the steppers comes off the motherboard directly. And the X axis is quite OK. It's not from a power supply directly- and the power IN to the motherboard is a single standard 4-pin PC power connector, like the old ones for CDs and Hard drives.

But a dirty connector is a feasible exscuse for the erratic behaviour- and the console LCD panel came back to life after sitting quiet for a week.
    Last edited by Ian Stewart-Koster; 09-11-2017 at 8:58 AM.
    Best wishes,
    Ian

ULS M-300, 55w made 2002 with rotary. Goldenlaser 130 watt, 1300x700 made 2011.
    Flat bed 2500x1300 150/90watt 2 tube laser, 2018 model.
    Esab router, 1989, 4.5 x 2.0 m, conv. to Tekcel, and modded a 2nd time.
    HP L260-60". Roland PNC-1410. Mimaki GC-130 SU.
    Screenprinting carousel 6x4 and 7x4 ft 1-arm bandit vac table.
    Corel Draw X3, Illy, Indesign & Photoshop CS2 & CS5, Enroute 4
    Pencil, paper, paintbrush, airbrush & dagger-liners & assorted other stuff.