Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Is posting videos on youtube showing second-rate skills or results fine with you?

I didn't take Simon's words as an attack; in fact my words may have been more 'inciteful' to him than insightful. What I meant by underestimating the viewing public is that when I learn on the Internet (whether it's from posts here on SMC or YTube) I usually find multiple sources because it's so easy. I very quickly find out whom to trust.

I guess what I'm saying is that I've found it easy - even when I was a novice - to spot good and bad information, or to parse out good and bad parts. So, I think even neophytes can be quite discerning. We're not 5-years old and believing everything thrown at us.

I don't begrudge someone for criticizing bad advice - or even encouraging people to strive for better, neater, tighter results. But I don't think having second rate skills should be a barrier to posting. If all I saw was top tier work on the Internet, I might never have been encouraged to try myself. The Internet has created an "I can make that, learn that, cook that" attitude that I just think is wonderful.

There will probably always be a tension between the eager-to-post and the seasoned-restrained-experts. I believe the most healthy approach is for the experts to embrace the medium and to correct and guide without discouraging. But I respect too that this opinion may be mine and not yours.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 09-05-2017 at 2:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Attacking? That is a serious word, Patrick. No one is attacking anyone here. I am simply stating that no one has been underestimating anyone or any material, unless proof is shown otherwise. A broad stroke of brush does no good to any discussion and people, moderators included, should understand that.
    You're right, I overstated my point.

What I (thought I) saw was a mod stepping in to try to get us to tone things down, and you arguing with him instead of "playing along". Prashun has since clarified that he didn't really have his "moderator hat" on (so not Ex Cathedra :-), and didn't see your reply that way in any case, so that pretty much settles it.

How about we all go watch some cat videos?
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 09-05-2017 at 4:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    How about we all go watch some cat videos?
    Or, for those who love dogs (and woodworking at the same time), they can try the Australian woodworking fellow who always features his dog (forgot the dog's name) at the beginning or end of his show.

Simon

Or, Watch Ishitani san's dog wander around in a sweater?

I used to know it,but now have forgotten it all!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Wonder how a video ( or three) from Ishitani Furniture would fare with the above "critics"?
    Maybe I'm just an unseasoned amateur, but I like the Ishitani videos?

The puppy clips are especially relaxing when I'm reviewing patient notes after hours.
    It's sorta nice to see a guy cutting wood, gluing together, finishing, with no annoying blather or endorsements.

Someone should do a video showing us how to cut a dovetail holding the tail or pin board in the air with one hand (no clamps) and ... with a hacksaw blade (seriously, before you laugh, that was seen used in a now defunct magazine article!).

Simon
    Find yourself a copy of "The Precision Handcutting of Dovetails" by Cecil Pierce, if you haven't already.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Or, for those who love dogs (and woodworking at the same time), they can try the Australian woodworking fellow who always features his dog (forgot the dog's name) at the beginning or end of his show.

Simon
    Bob the Dog
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Doesn't bother me, but I take them all with a grain of salt....You'll see mistakes or less attention to detail than you would like. But overall, informative.
    I always liked Norm Abrams but felt he used too many brads, fasteners when building furniture..I like to build furniture without any fasteners.Just my thought/opinion..
    Understand...Shows you are a discerning WWer...
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    Doesn't bother me, but I take them all with a grain of salt....You'll see mistakes or less attention to detail than you would like. But overall, informative.
    I always liked Norm Abrams but felt he used too many brads, fasteners when building furniture..I like to build furniture without any fasteners.Just my thought/opinion..
    Understand...Shows you are a discerning WWer...
    Absolutely no brads on any pieces I do including bracket feet, EXCEPT jigs or accessories where speed is desirable, shop builds and garden/outdoor projects. If I had to use them, cabinet back panels would be a suitable candidate.

My custom built kitchen cabinets (not by me) looked great in the first several years, but over time, I began to see the filler marks due to their fading or changing color from the sun. That's proof that brad fillers will show up with the passage of time no matter how well they blend in at the beginning. So, brad nailers, I have three, are a crude tool in my shop.

Simon

Blog Entries
    Back to videos with second rate skills, in another thread someone posed a question about a chisel with a rounded end. About a year and a half ago, someone else wanted to know how to cut a finger catch on a sliding top. Showing it in a video with second rate equipment and skills, it was only the second time this was done by me with the particular chisel, seemed to be a quicker way to answer a question than trying to explain it in writing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZgAS2JJ1mI

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Back to videos with second rate skills, in another thread someone posed a question about a chisel with a rounded end. About a year and a half ago, someone else wanted to know how to cut a finger catch on a sliding top. Showing it in a video with second rate equipment and skills, it was only the second time this was done by me with the particular chisel, seemed to be a quicker way to answer a question than trying to explain it in writing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZgAS2JJ1mI

jtk
    Nice! It makes sense that you'd want a chisel with a tip roughly matching the profile of the gouge for that. Not exactly paring though.

If it's done for entertainment value I'm fine with it. "How to make dovetails with a chainsaw" and "sharpening your paring chisel with a file" are usually good for a chuckle. Other than that, I'd rather see folks that know what they're doing. No disrespect to the guys that set up a YouTube channel in the hopes of making a few bucks, but please at least research the subject matter you're presenting. If you choose not to, and some old guy that's been doing this a long time sends you a message schooling you on how to do a given thing the right way, don't get crabby.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    "How to make dovetails with a chainsaw"
    They do this on the Barnwood Builders TV program.

It is how the corners of log building are put together. They are cut so there is always a downward slope so water will not sit in the joint.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have an issue when someone demonstrates objectively poor advice or technique. I was watching a sharpening video a while ago where the guy finished a bench chisel on a 8k stone and went on to explain the importance of 50 strokes per side on a strop while pushing "as hard as you can." It was a carving tool by the time he finished the flat side. There is no benefit to such content.

Peter