Thread: Looking for a Drum Sander, Found Something Interesting

Looking for a Drum Sander, Found Something Interesting

I am in the market for a 16-18 inch drum sander to add to my shop and have been comparing the JET and Supermax models. While looking on Woodcraft.com the past few days, I noticed that the JET Sanders have dropped pretty significantly in price. This is what I found:

JET 1632 is $1,099.99, down from $1,299.99
    JET 1836 is $1,299.99, down from $1,397.99

I believe their larger 22-44's have dropped in price as well, but I am not really in the market for that size. I read in Woodworkers Journal that the JET sanders have really efficient dust collection as well as some other notable features. I think SuperMax may be coming out with a new sander this month as well?

Has anyone compared the 2 brands? Thoughts on added value with the lower price?

Thanks everyone!

yes, I saw an ad for the 19-38. It has digital readout and a bar to pull for big adjustments , instead of cranking the handle like a banshee when one goes from a thin board to a thick board
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I noticed that, has me thinking about the Supermax a little more. My only thought is I don't often go from thin to thick in the same sanding session. But good to see the company's like JET and Supermax investing in innovation with the machines.

I have seen the Jet and SM in person and the SM would be my pic hands down.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    I have seen the Jet and SM in person and the SM would be my pic hands down.
    Same here. I compared both at Woodcraft and went with a SM 25-50.