Thread: PC 7518 Speed Control

PC 7518 Speed Control

I am in the process of bypassing the speed control module on my PC 7518 and wiring in my own speed control. Amazon has several options but all have some bad reviews. I suspect many of these reviews are people trying to speed regulate soft start or speed controlled devices. Some have stated the device worked then simply failed. As with many tech reviews on Amazon, I noticed the majority of negative comments due to quality were within the past few years. Not unlike the people who have had their 7518s for years and can't fathom that PC now makes substandard power tools.

Question: Has anyone found a more robust speed regulator? Perhaps a unit designed for industrial applications?

Unfortunately, I'm seeing these same speed control issues reported with the big Milwaukee routers, too. Again, it's the more recent units, not the older ones. The manufacturers can't be ignorant to this, I just don't get it.

I don't think the same people actually own the degraded companies anymore. They buy a company with a good name. Slowly slim down production standards until people notice. Then they reduce the price. I know Beismeyer did this. I'd pay double for a quality reliable tool but that option is slowly becoming impossible.

This one seems to get good reviews

http://www.vhipe.com/product-private/SuperPID-Home.htm
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

This device is rated for 2.5hp. The 7518 is 3.25hp. Not sure how important that is but I don't want to smoke a $155 controller finding out.

I apologize, Robert. I didn't read the specs closely. I have been trying to find the net discussion that led me to that site and I can't seem to find it. In the discussion, a couple of guys had used it successfully with a 7518. It may be worth a call to the company to talk to them about it.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

I'd guess you should use the amp rating rather than the (probably) bogus horsepower rating used by marketing. But yeah, call the company.
    Last edited by Nick Decker; 08-31-2017 at 9:38 AM. Reason: Typo

Here is the thread where a Creeker says he has used the Super PID with a 7518.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.p...ol-Box-(05200)
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

I sent an inquiry to VHIPE.com and they indicated the 7518/19 are compatible and used frequently. I ordered mine (looks like about 2 weeks delivery from Australia) and will post install updates when available.

I'll look forward to your reports on this. Just curious, do you consider yourself knowledgeable about electronic stuff?

Retired Navy elec tech. Submarines. Not an engineer per se but resourceful enough to tackle this. I'll post my results.