Thread: T-track compatibility question

T-track compatibility question

I am going to be moving my workshop from my basement into my new 3-bay garage later this fall. One of the first projects I will be doing is a workbench designed primarily for power-tool use. I'm sure most of you have seen the Paulk-style benches on Youtube and what I have in mind will be similar, but I want to put t-track along at least two edges and build a router table into the surface. it will be fairly large (probably 3x8) and needs to be mobile (but not portable) so it will be lightweight and on large casters.

The t-track is my sticking point. I'm going to need several lengths of it. I think the Rockler track is very expensive, but I already have a 4' piece of it. I want to make sure that whatever I buy is compatible and hopefully cheaper. If I can't find a cheaper alternative, then obviously compatibility is not a concern. Does anyone here use t-track from multiple sources and have issues with jigs and accessories not fitting universally across brands?
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

What are your most important jigs and clamps?

If all of your jigs use 1/4 hex head bolts, just about any T track will do. On the other hand, if you have specific thingamajigs you want to slide in there, e.g. Kreg Klamps or those Rockler horizontal clamps made by Armor, you have to be more particular.

Personally I get my T track from Orange Aluminum. Can't beat their pricing - very helpful when you want to edge or double edge a bench. I've found it to be fairly standard. Even Festool quick clamps will fit it if you just sand/grind them a hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    What are your most important jigs and clamps?

If all of your jigs use 1/4 hex head bolts, just about any T track will do. On the other hand, if you have specific thingamajigs you want to slide in there, e.g. Kreg Klamps or those Rockler horizontal clamps made by Armor, you have to be more particular.

Personally I get my T track from Orange Aluminum. Can't beat their pricing - very helpful when you want to edge or double edge a bench. I've found it to be fairly standard. Even Festool quick clamps will fit it if you just sand/grind them a hair.
    Me too, at least I did the last time. best price I found by far!

Just an aside as another idea..... I use Unistrut for t-track. They make it in about a 1" width and it is MUCH cheaper.

Maybe that helps.
    Fred

Check out Orange Aluminum, they are very similar to Incra t track and a lot more reasonable price wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Lisowski View Post
    Check out Orange Aluminum, they are very similar to Incra t track and a lot more reasonable price wise.
    Nice! Thanks for sharing that. Looks like a good cheap option! Ill have to order some from them and see what I think.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!