Thread: Thanks....(and a bench pic)

Thanks....(and a bench pic)

I've absorbed a ton of information in the threads here, and I'm positive it's helped me tremendously on my first hand tool project. It's been a pretty fun journey, and an incredible education. So even if i haven't received a reply directly from you, you've probably posted something that I've learned from, and for that reason, I say thanks to the posters here for sharing their knowledge and encouragement.

There are a few tweaks and touches left, but for all intents and purposes, she's done. I made a ton of mistakes and learned from all of them, and if I can be honest, I'm pretty proud of it.

Of course, I'm already thinking of the next one....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Nathan,

You are definitely coming up in the world! Enjoy the bench, make something on it. Use it a while, you will figure out what works and what doesn't. For now, though, it looks like a really sound bench that you can get a lot of use out of.

As the old saying goes: "not bad, not bad at all!"

My bench is a 4' 2X10 plank on a pair of 40 year old saw horses made from pallets. The plank goes back into the shed at night, but the saw horses have always lived outside, so they are on their own. On the other hand, I can easily double the size of my bench, I have a second plank handy in the same shed.

As for what works and what doesn't: If I want to get more the 40 years out of two sawhorse that were made from used pallet lumber I will never put them together with nails again. (That may be all I have learned over the 40 years, other than: put a vise or two on the bench, clamps for working on stuff is a pain.)

At any rate, you are now way ahead of me, great job!

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 08-29-2017 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Johnson View Post
    I've absorbed a ton of information in the threads here, and I'm positive it's helped me tremendously on my first hand tool project. It's been a pretty fun journey, and an incredible education. So even if i haven't received a reply directly from you, you've probably posted something that I've learned from, and for that reason, I say thanks to the posters here for sharing their knowledge and encouragement.

There are a few tweaks and touches left, but for all intents and purposes, she's done. I made a ton of mistakes and learned from all of them, and if I can be honest, I'm pretty proud of it.

Of course, I'm already thinking of the next one....
    Nathan,

Building benches can be addictive like Iron Butt Motorcycle rides, you build 'em because you can. A better way is to work on the bench for awhile noting the things about it that drive you BS crazy as you work. When the BScrazy list grows long enough then build another addressing all the faults of the old bench. By the third or fourth time your bench will be close to perfect.

BTW, nice job,

ken

Thanks, Stew. I built this on sawhorses, so perhaps I can relate a little. I'm excited for the increased height...those sawhorses were murder on my back.

Ken, I plan to work on this one for a long while, but I definitely had design and implementation ideas throughout the process.

Wow! Nice bench!

Blog Entries
    Nicely done. I still tend to refer to my benches as my "Next Workbench". The first one lasted about 9 months, the second for 6 or 7 years and now I'm using #3. The previous two were gifted to enthusiastic recipients. I had just learned enough from them to want a revised model.

Work on that baby for some time. Enjoy the fruits of your labor and you will develop a mental list of alterations and features you desire. At some point they will add up to a rebuild and you can enjoy building your "Next Workbench" on top of you old one. Its the circle of workbench life. ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Very good stuff Nathan. You are up and running now and have a "bench from Hades" to use until the next one comes along - or not. This one looks like a keeper.
    David

Great bench Nathan. With that style you may never need another. After working on sawhorses you will be very happy.
    Jim

That's a great launching platform for your work. You can add a tail vise and dog holes, hold down holes and holes for pegs in the front apron; all as needed. We can't see the stretcher or leg joints but perhaps like Paul Sellers?
    As others point out we all strive for the ultimate bench, once we work out what that is for our needs! You can stretch the useful life of this one considerably, when you can't stretch it you will be ready for the next one.

I'm just finishing my ultimate (and last) bench. The thought process in modifying the Scandi design and keeping the construction traditional has been most enjoyable. The reality is people build few benches so design progress is very, very, slow. They get sidetracked by 'new fashion' benches that feel easier to make with expensive hardware. The reality is the compromise leaves you wanting. It does not stop you making stuff of course! My design started with a bench dog and I designed the bench around it.

Enjoy the heck out of your bench!

Thanks, William. Yes, it's a Paul Sellers copy with altered dimensions...not as long, not as wide, shorter aprons...but the joints and build process were a direct copy.

Your bench came out really nice Nathan. I am in the process of making my bench, and it is similar to yours.
    I hope it comes out as nice too. Enjoy the new bench.

Very well done. I like the "trough" in the center--that could really come in handy. I have a standard, slab-style bench and am thinking about putting a trough on the back side to keep tools handy but out of the way. I also agree about putting bench dog holes and a tail vice on yours at some point. I plan to do the same probably this fall with mine. I just need to replace the sacrificial top (again).

Have fun working on it!

Nathan, that is a beautiful bench! Great job!
    I just completed my bench. I still have a couple of video installments to post, but I used it in the construction of a very simple planing stop for that bench. It was an absolute joy to have a purpose made bench, something solid that doesn't flex, bounce or move when using a chisel and mallet.
    I think you, like me, will wonder what you did without one.
    Last edited by Mike Baker 2; 08-29-2017 at 1:23 PM.