Hi! I run a makerspace / fab lab in Santa Cruz, CA where we have a Redsail CM1290 100W Chinese Laser, TL-403 Controller.

We love the thing but the most nagging issue we have encountered is this:

When the machine starts, it seems to set the bed height (U Axis) to 0. What happens is you can then only move the bed in one direction, either up or down depending on what the direction is set to. We discovered, deep in the settings (Menu --> Integrate --> Axis Set --> U Axis) there is a way to switch the direction so you can then switch the direction and properly focus. Thankfully we have this trick or we would only be able to go one way ever...

Are we missing something here? Does anyone have this same machine and have the same problem? It's totally lame to have to teach new users this 15 step ritual to adjust the focus... It would be really great to disable this zeroing that occurs...

I have spent a good time with the TL-403 Controller manual but no solution has appeared... Here is a link in case anyone wants to torture themselves with it.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1U...ew?usp=sharing

Very grateful for any assistance here.

PS this community has been the best resource for us here. You guys are awesome and I'm stoked to have joined.