Thread: Trotec Speedy 100R, Job Control connection issue

Trotec Speedy 100R, Job Control connection issue

Hi all,

We are currently experiencing a rather odd connection issue with Job Control X and our Speedy 100R and wonder whether anyone had a similar issue before and/or any ideas.

Job Control X (latest version) can't connect to the Laser anymore. 99.9% of the time. We were able to connect once or twice, but out of the sudden JC refuses to connect. It's possible to connect to the laser through Hyperterminal though! And together with Trotec Support we were also able to push the latest Firmware.

– Running Win7 through Bootcamp natively on a MacMini from 2012

– A change of USB-cable and/or ports didn't resolve the issue. Neither does the serial-cable establish a connection

– Tried a fresh install of Win7 and JC

– Tried a fresh install of Win7 and JC within Parallels on another machine

– Going to try a fresh install of Win7 and JC on another "pure" PC

– Win7 says all com-ports are supposedly working just fine

– Tried downgrading the FTDI-driver for the ports

– Support doesn't think it's the mainboard/hardware since Hyperterminal connects properly with the machine

– All fuses on the mainboard appear to be fine as far as we can tell

Currently thinking that Win7 might be somehow blocking JC from all outgoing connection attempts, but need to verify/falsify.

Any and all ideas appreciated.

Thx + All the best,

Steffen
    Last edited by Steffen Heidemann; 08-26-2017 at 4:00 PM.

Opened up the machine this morning, checked all the connections we could find and cleaned up a bit. Started JobControl, et voilà: connection established and job cut without any issues!

Curious as we are, we powered off the machine and powered on. Then again, same issue as before: no connection anymore!

What can you think of that would keep JC from connecting with the laser (and then connect at "random")? Mainboard, tube, cable, a short somewhere (where?), power supply? Again, a connection via Hyperterminal e.g. works flawlessly anytime. What kind of error would you suggest?

Running 64-Bit Win7 with latest JC 64-Bit — would 32-Bit be more stable maybe?

Thx.
    Last edited by Steffen Heidemann; 08-28-2017 at 5:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steffen Heidemann View Post
    Opened up the machine this morning, checked all the connections we could find and cleaned up a bit. Started JobControl, et voilà: connection established and job cut without any issues!

Curious as we are, we powered off the machine and powered on. Then again, same issue as before: no connection anymore!

What can you think of that would keep JC from connecting with the laser (and then connect at "random")? Mainboard, tube, cable, a short somewhere (where?), power supply? Again, a connection via Hyperterminal e.g. works flawlessly anytime. What kind of error would you suggest?

Running 64-Bit Win7 with latest JC 64-Bit — would 32-Bit be more stable maybe?

Thx.
    Try moving those connections again.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Sounds like the machine and computer used to have a friendly relationship. What changed. Anti Virus update? Win 7 update Defender..MacFender... Works some time......... Cold Boot of computer and laser works once then doesn't........ sounds more like computer than laser...... How are the two connected?? USB. BootCamp ? I'm lost.

Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

How are the two connected??
    Usually via USB. Tried the seriell-port as well though! Tried both Win7 through Bootcamp as well as Win7 within Parallels. While it (once) suddenly worked yesterday we were running the Parallels installation. It's weird that it works perfectly fine, then a minute later it doesn't. The only "computer" we didn't try is a "pure" PC/win-machine as we have none around…

Try moving those connections again.
    We did, we did… and will again : ))

Does it makes sense that Hyperterminal connects (100% of the time), but JobControl does not? Should this be a reason to exclude a bad mainboard (for now)?

Could the tube have an error, not starting up, etc… that would prevent JC from connecting?

Quote Originally Posted by Steffen Heidemann View Post
    Does it makes sense that Hyperterminal connects (100% of the time), but JobControl does not? Should this be a reason to exclude a bad mainboard (for now)?

Could the tube have an error, not starting up, etc… that would prevent JC from connecting?
    I've never connected using Hyperterminal, but I'm not sure that would convince me of much of anything. It sounds like a communication problem and, to me, there is a huge difference in connecting with hyperterminal and connecting via a program. Who knows what communication protocols are in place, what speeds they are written to communicate at, etc. For example, you might be able to successfully log in, but are you doing anything? Sending data back and forth, or just establishing a connection to prove it connects? Big difference in the two things.

I don't have any suggestions to correct it, but it sounds like something is shutting communications down, much like a Windows update or security software issue. Doesn't sound like a machine issue, but that's always a possibility. That doesn't help much when your laser won't run, but hang in there with tech support, don't give up, and keep them on it. One of the computer gurus there will get it fixed, but it's a hard one to trace, I suspect.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

He is running on a Mac, so no Windows updates? Maybe a Mac OS update.
    I would try running on a real Windows PC and see what happens.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Sending data back and forth, or just establishing a connection to prove it connects? Big difference in the two things.
    We pushed the latest firmware upgrade with Trotec/Support.

Thanks for keeping us motivated, much appreciate it—downtime isn't good time at all!
    Last edited by Steffen Heidemann; 08-29-2017 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    I would try running on a real Windows PC and see what happens.
    Will try a real PC the second we can find one! Gave the last remaining one away a couple of days ago, damn : ) Would also love to try an old XP with JC 9.x! Bootcamp on a Mac isn't much different from a "real" PC though. And Windows inside a virtual box (Parallels, VM Ware, Virtual Box) is basically just a real PC as well!