Thread: Looking for affordable alternative to Hammer Eccentric Clamp

Looking for affordable alternative to Hammer Eccentric Clamp

Felder sells it's eccentric clamp set for $275. I'm sure it's high quality but too pricey. Can anyone suggest a less expensive clamp that will work with the Hammer T-track?
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

if convenience isnt a issue just use a acme screw and build a base like felders out of wood its not like these are anything special.

here is a cheap one lol https://www.google.com/search?q=clam...UNfivgAUvB5OM:

u can also clone air tight clamps setup for about $500 with parts from jw winco.

The Kreg long reach automaxx clamp works well - just use a small piece of ply to mount it and a couple of t nuts with clamping knobs to secure the ply to the table

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    This is what I use to secure objects on the slider. I have changed the knobs on the hold downs in the last pic to octagon shaped handles like you would find on some hand tools.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I also recommend the Kreg long reach Automaxx clamp combined with this t-nut: https://www.mcmaster.com/#94750a602/=193peqz, which fits the track in my Hammer slider and matches the threads in the base of the Kreg clamp.
    Last edited by Mike Eshleman; 08-26-2017 at 12:07 AM. Reason: incorrect link

The recent addition to the market of a variety of attachable quick clamps like the Kreg that folks have mentioned really do solve this problem nicely and affordably given that most sliders have that nice tee-slot that can be easily leveraged to fasten stuff down.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Scott,

may be that one will work?
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Adju...AbTest=ae803_1

And here I thought I was being clever by using the long-reach Automaxx on my slider!! Looks you guys all beat me to the idea.

The less expensive options look promising. I owned the eccentric clamp, and was not a big fan. I do very much like Mac's clamps, but those are not in keeping with Scott's idea of less expensive.

The trick I picked up from another Felder/Hammer user of the eccentric clamp is to use a 1/4 inch thick spacer piece between the open clamp head and the work being clamped to adjust the height of the clamp head. Take the spacer out and then clamp. This ensures the clamping force is about right. Also a piece of leather or similar mounted onto the clamp head works better than the bare head alone.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lankers View Post
    This is what I use to secure objects on the slider. I have changed the knobs on the hold downs in the last pic to octagon shaped handles like you would find on some hand tools.
    Putting a standard T-slot in the center slider ... that's genius. This post made my day!

I bought the Felder Hammer clamp, but prefer the automax.

I'm hesitant to purchase anything through AliExpress due to allegations of fraud and counterfeiting.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.