Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parts hunt

Parts hunt

Hi All, Here's my tale of woe. I have an older Jet 14" band saw. One winter day I was was in the garage and needed to make a quick cut and loosened up the guide post but accidentally let it drop to the table. I'm blaming the cold weather because the guide support bracket shattered. I can't find a replacement for that guide support bracket anywhere.The problem is the age of the saw. It has the older octagonal guide post and no one is making replacement guide support brackets for that post anymore. Has anyone else run into this problem? Will the round guide post work in my saw? Will the guide support bracket for the round post go on the octagonal post? Is this design used on any other band saws that still have parts available? I appreciate any and all information. Thanks much.

What about aftermarket? I have Laguna ceramic guides on my bandsaw. Carter makes guides for many saws.

Is the guidepost hex or octagonal? If you post some measurements of the guidepost and a picture we may be able to help you find a suitable replacement.

Check with Ittura Designs. They are your best shot.

I did the exact same thing about 3 years ago, dropped the post and broke the guide support bracket. I repaired it using JB Weld thinking it would be a temporary fix until I could source a new bracket, guess what the repaired bracket has held up and I have no interest in replacing it. I recommend you try repairing the broken guide bracket with JB Weld at least as a "temporary" fix.

It has the octagonal post. I'll get some pics tonight and post them.
    Thanks

Thanks. i sent Louis an email, hope he can help me out.

Thanks Doug, i wish i had held on to the broken parts. Doh!!!

Sorry to hear that, as I said I broke the exact same part and my saw (an Asian clone of the old Delta 14") also has an octagonal post. Don't see that part on their website but you might try R&D Bandsaws, Bob there is very helpful. Good Luck.

Doug, thanks for the reference. I sent them an email maybe they can help.

Bob,

can you look up the part in an old manual and maybe post a pic. I have an old 14" Jet, from the blue ol' days, that I put Carter guides on long ago. I kept all the parts that came off when installing the new guides. If it's one of the parts that gets 'discarded' when the Carter guides go on, I'd be willing to part with it. I can't see taking the carter guides off to switch back.

-Andrew

Thanks Andrew,

I'll be posting pics tonight or tomorrow. Stay tuned to this very station.

UPPER GUIDE BRACKET.jpg
    I only had time for a quick pic. I could have chosen a better background but maybe you can get the idea. The bracket goes on a hexagonal post,(not octagonal) that's six sides. The post measures .83"

Thanks everyone for all the help

Looks identical to the one on my 14" Delta Asian clone including the hexagon post (less the JB Weld ) , that's good news because there are lot's of 14" Delta Asian clones out there so finding a replacement should be that much easier.

20170823_084430.jpg

20170823_084408.jpg

Yep,,, that's the animal I'm looking for. Bob at R&D Bandsaws thinks he can help me out if I get him enough pics and measurements. Thanks again for the information.