Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: New Workshop - Need lots of good advice

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I remember putting mine up in the closet, Alan. Raising up that heavy thing (even in pieces) in a tight space was "no fun"!!! 'Glad you got this step completed!
    Jim:

What did you do to allow makeup air into the closet. This 5HP beast will require a lot, and I'd like to soundproof the area as much as possible. I'm thinking that the 18" x 34" area where the floor meets the door will provide enough air, and deflect some of the sound under the floor, but I'm thinking it will still be quite loud.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

You want an indirect return path for air so there is no direct transmission of sound. I happened to do that using the ceiling joists to house a "folded pathway" that was adequate for the purpose as in the diagram below that I've posted a few times in the past. Others have used way-oversized HVAC flex duct to do the same through their attic...I believe John Jordan did it that way. The secret sauce is "indirect", regardless of how you choose to do it.

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That's pretty slick, Jim. I'm thinking what I may do, is use two 12" flexible hoses through a piece of wood sitting on the floor, going under the elevated 18" floor. If I put them into a U configuration (or something serpentine), I would think that would attenuate sound quite well too.

Or a vertical wood piece covering the opening below the floor, heading into a serpentine wood box, somewhat like you did with the joists.

Do you need to put soundproofing material in the box? Did you put it in your joists?
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

With the raised floor, putting a "meandering" return or two under it would work out fine including elimination of direct sound transmission as I mentioned previously. Most raised floor systems also support some kind of grate that is designed for passing air, too. The advantage to the flex duct is that it will provide additional sound reduction, particularly if it's the insulated type. My return used Homasote for the middle and bottom horizontal pieces. BTW, the inside of my DC/Compressor closet is lined with pegboard that has the back (rough) side facing the noise. That helps break up things and the little holes allow the fiberglass in the walls to catch some of the rumble, too, as well as the higher efrequencies.
    --

OK. Next question. What do people think of the idea of a barn door for the finishing room? I'm thinking it frees up lots of floor space where the door would swing, plus the room will need air intake for the exhaust fan. The downside is that after I've finished spraying a relatively airtight door might be nice so the shop wouldn't stink from residual finish.

Barn doors/pocket doors do have a space saving aspect, but they don't seal very well as you mention. If you plan on using solvent based finishing products, that can be an important factor for safety.
    --

The upside to the barn door is they can be rigged with a slope or counterweights so they are self closing. A fusible link holding the door open will melt in the event of a fire allowing the door to close. It won't be airtight but you can put an exterior rated roll-up door in front if you really want to.

Also, is it allowable to use OSB for interior, non-load bearing workshop walls? The ceiling separating the workshop from the living areas of the house is poured concrete with tin covering on the workshop ceiling, so can't imagine fire transmission through that, but I can't find anywhere that says OSB is allowable to interior walls. I know its commonly done in workshops.

Well, lots of progress this week.

The raised access floor was installed. I saved a bunch of money going with a used floor (they are usually easy to find), but there was lots of glue to remove. Not terribly thrilled about that part.

Raised-Floor-Construction.jpg
    Completed-Raised-Access-Floor.jpg

The machine rigger / movers moved all the Felder machines that were delivered earlier this week. Fortunately my 17' tall ceilings and tall garage doors allowed a forklift to bring them in the workshop and lift them up onto the raised floor. From there a narrow pallet jack handled moving them, actually quite easily.

The real difficult one was the FB710 bandsaw. Only about 850#, but over 8 feet tall, and it comes on its side on a pallet. It was interesting watching that lifted up and onto the floor. Also, it was the only piece that a pallet jack won't go underneath after it's put on the floor. For now, I've got it on two 4x4s. Not sure how I'll get it off those. I might just leave them there (after cutting them down a little shorter).

The machine movers were awesome. They moved all the equipment, my table saw cabinet, workbench, tool carts, etc... on the elevated floor. Just good guys who knew what they were doing.

Here's a few pictures of the move:
    Bandsaw-Delivery-for-Web.jpg
    Bandsaw-in-Workshop-for-Web.jpg
    Bandsaw-on-Forklift-for-Web.jpg
    Planar-Delivery-for-Web.jpg
    Planar-in-Workshop.jpg

Everything needs to be fully assembled. The next step is cabinets, then electrical and ducting, then Felder will send in their technician to put everything together. I can't wait.

I'll post some better pictures once I clean things up.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 01-30-2019 at 10:47 PM.

Blog Entries
    I really do like the idea of using a raised floor system in a shop. They are very strong, can be made extremely level & it's a breeze running power & dust collection under there & the relocating it as the shop evolves. If I ever build another shop that will be high on my list of wants.

Alan, if you need to get the bandsaw off the 4x4s, just do it in steps...pull it away from the wall a little, raise the back with a jack or lever, remove the rear 4x4, let down the back side (the wall is there for safety), raise the front, remove the 4x4, lower the front and then wiggle it back into the desired position. That said, if the table height is acceptable with the blocks in place, leave them as it will allow for easier moving of the tool in the future if that becomes a need.

That floor looks great. Can we assume the glue thing is because it was covered in carpet at some point?
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Alan, if you need to get the bandsaw off the 4x4s, just do it in steps...pull it away from the wall a little, raise the back with a jack or lever, remove the rear 4x4, let down the back side (the wall is there for safety), raise the front, remove the 4x4, lower the front and then wiggle it back into the desired position. That said, if the table height is acceptable with the blocks in place, leave them as it will allow for easier moving of the tool in the future if that becomes a need.

That floor looks great. Can we assume the glue thing is because it was covered in carpet at some point?
    Yes, we were assuming it was carpet glue, but not really sure.

Any thoughts as to a type of paint I could roll on to the flooring that is durable? It does look a little rough (and yes, I know, it's a workshop).

I would think that you could use "normal" flooring paint as long as everything is clean and grease-free.
    --

It's been a busy two weeks. I'll post some pictures when I have everything cleaned up / hooked up.

The Phase Perfect 3-phase converter is installed. Working on terminating the equipment to use it.

Dust collection piping is almost done, under the floor.

Mitsubishi split AC is on order, and hopefully installed in a few weeks.

Lighting fixtures waiting for installation, and bulbs to arrive.

Cabinetry almost totally installed, though I realized I need more than I ordered. Aaarghhh!!!!! $$$$$$

Once ducting and electrical is set, I'll get Felder to come down and put together and calibrate my equipment.

One Jet air filter up (the smaller one), the huge beast of one needs to be hung from the ceiling next week.

3 hoists also need to be hung from the ceiling, one to lift the entrance ramp out of the way (that 12 foot ramp is huge - yeah, I know, it's 12 feet), one to lift my large crosscut sled out of the way so I don't hurt my back lifting it, and one to lift things near the entrance.

And, I need to get someone to build the couple of walls, and doors for the entrance to the finishing room and the workshop, and the cyclone room (gonna try Jim Becker's idea there to reduce sound). Also need a hole cut in the ciderblock to hold my explosion proof fan for the finishing room.

So lots done, and lots still to do. Pictures will tell the real story.

That is going to be a sweet shop, Alan. Looks like great progress. I’m really looking forward to seeing the finishing room, as I’m trying to figure out how to incorporate one into my shop (which is a work in progress, and not nearly as far along as yours).