So, I have had some health issues (too much sun, to little sun screen over the years) and have had to move hobbies inside.

I want to learn woodworking and started a (short lived) class. Week 2 was Build a Cutting Board.

This was perfect because our current cutting board is falling apart.

I poked around and found a design i liked.

I don't have all the pictures I took, but heres a few.

Step 1 was to laminate rows of Cherry, Walnut and Maple. I made 3 different glue up with Cherry/Cherry/Walnut/Walnut, Cherry/Walnut/Cherry/Walnut, and Walnut/Cherry/Cherry/Walnut. Each glue up was about 2' long. Next I cut those into 1 1/2" strips. Randomly alternating the 3 patterns I then glued all that up.

IMG_0963.jpg

The glue up worked well, so I went on and cut the board to size. I needed to thin is some at this point and didn't want to put it through the planer, and didn't have a drum bed sander yet.

So I got the router and made a jig that slides on the 2 square steel bars in the pic, while the router slides back and forth.

IMG_0964.jpg

That worked well enough that I had a flat cutting board that needed almost no sanding. Started sanding at 150 and went to 300, simple.

Finished with food grade oil. The final product turned out ok. I call it "The Wall" as in 'another brick in'

IMG_0966.jpg

Can't wait to do an end grain board or two or three or four....

As always comments and suggestions more than welcome.

Thanks,
Steve