Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Veritas combination plane is here

Veritas combination plane is here

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...20&cat=51&ap=1

I think this is the biggest release after the custom bench planes. The complexity of its development, if you read the plane guide, is really beyond its look.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 08-15-2017 at 9:48 AM.

Blog Entries
    Yes- I saw that, but my preorder has yet to ship. I certainly hope they will ship to the loyal folks that preordered first.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Yes- I saw that, but my preorder has yet to ship. I certainly hope they will ship to the loyal folks that preordered first.
    Perhaps yours is being packed for shipping?

For new orders, the webpage says
    Our initial shipment of the Box for the Combination Plane is expected to arrive by early September 2017.

Simon

Blog Entries
    I REALLY wish they had not done that, I have absolutely no use for one but I probably will order one.

I have long been fascinated with combination planes, but I already have their small plow plane with all of the cutters, including some beading cutters.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I REALLY wish they had not done that, I have absolutely no use for one but I probably will order one.

I have long been fascinated with combination planes, but I already have their small plow plane with all of the cutters, including some beading cutters.
    Luckily the cutters from the plow are compatible with the new plane. The new plane comes with one cutter only.

Simon

Question about this plane

Question: Does this combination plane duplicate the functions of the small and large plough planes? Thanks.
    -Howard

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Pollack View Post
    Question: Does this combination plane duplicate the functions of the small and large plough planes? Thanks.
    -Howard
    Hi Howard,

The Veritas Combination Plane was formerly known as the Veritas Large Plough Plane. Since more functions have been added someone must have decided to change the name.

The Veritas Small Plough (plow) Plane is also a bit of a combination plane with some beading cutters, just not as many combinations.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Hi Howard,

The Veritas Combination Plane was formerly known as the Veritas Large Plough Plane. Since more functions have been added someone must have decided to change the name.
    Actually, the original Large Plough Plane design had a number of features that didn't make it into the final product: http://www.woodcentral.com/woodworki...ge-plow-plane/

Sigh. Another tool I don't really need, but will be sorely tempted to get...

I'm wondering where you found the link to the large plow plane. It does not appear in the current on-line catalog and the link you provided does not allow placement of an order or back-order. Also, I see only these words about delivery at the bottom of the page: Our initial shipment is expected to arrive by mid September 2017. Those who placed pre-orders for the plane were told mid-August for delivery, buy no one has reported receiving theirs, so far.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    Sigh. Another tool I don't really need, but will be sorely tempted to get...
    Live with it, I do.

I have the small plow plane with all of the cutters, including beading cutters.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 08-15-2017 at 4:38 PM.

Hi!

LOTS of combination planes ready to ship - all we're missing is.......of course...... the box!

Boxes are on the CNC router (and in assembly) as I type.... and we will be shipping first to those that bought in Amana. I expect that we'll start shipping in about 10 more working days. The web page went up a bit early, as we are just releasing the Main woodworking Catalogue, which features the plow plane on it.

Planes have actually been ready for a week or two now, and more are coming out every day.

It was my decision to put the brakes on the release, until we could completely fill the Amana orders, out of fairness to those that committed early...

Cheers -

Rob

PS - the combination plane guide will be available in print in our stores, and should be in our library app. Note that the new main catalogue is on-line now, and should also be hitting the reader app (if not already there).
    Last edited by Rob Lee; 08-15-2017 at 2:59 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi!

LOTS of combination planes ready to ship - all we're missing is.......of course...... the box!

Boxes are on the CNC router (and in assembly) as I type.... and we will be shipping first to those that bought in Amana. I expect that we'll start shipping in about 10 more working days. The web page went up a bit early, as we are just releasing the Main woodworking Catalogue, which features the plow plane on it.

Planes have actually been ready for a week or two now, and more are coming out every day.

It was my decision to put the brakes on the release, until we could completely fill the Amana orders, out of fairness to those that committed early...

Cheers -

Rob

PS - the combination plane guide will be available in print in our stores, and should be in our library app. Note that the new main catalogue is on-line now, and should also be hitting the reader app (if not already there).
    Thanks, Rob. That is commendable. I wouldn't have raised too much heck, but I would have been a bit perturbed if the Amana orders didn't ship first. I flew 2000 miles and borrowed a truck to drive the rest of the way to Amana, and I said if you guys had the "plane formerly known as the large plow" (with a nod to "the artist formerly known as Prince") up for purchase I would buy it, and I did so. Since then I have been anxiously awaiting that email- "Your new tool has shipped..." I do appreciate your thoughtfulness in giving the preorders first privilege.

This looks amazing. I know what's going to be on this year's Christmas list...

Hey, I could have beaten you guys who have preordered! Just joking.

I saw the ordering details this morning which are now gone. Also gone is it from the new products page which I found its release in the first place.

After reading the plane guide, the tool looks very promising...and I have to decide if I can still wait until I try it at one of the shows. Any reviews of this plane coming out soon?

Simon